Logo

DPC-1 Transom Shield Questions.

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Gang,

I'm in the process of re-installing my DPC-1 transom shield and have a few questions. First and foremost: Can the two O rings aka as cushions be reused if they have no apparent flaws ? When installing these cushions is any lube or sealer to be used ? I will be replacing the the transom shield gskt. and would like to know if any sealers should be used ? Also I heard that there are O rings to be installed around the transom mounting studs but they were not on the studs when i took it off, and do not appear in the volvo pts. catalog. Do I need these? Also what is the recommended torque spec. for the transom shield mounting studs and should sealer be applied to them? Finally do I tighten the clamping ring bolts before or after performing the alignment?

Thanks in advance
Jon Allen

Jon, on the C1 transom shield, the stud pattern is within the gasket perimeter.... so no stud sealing rings will be used......, as seen on the earlier drives.

The two large rubber cushion rings serve as both sealing ring and engine mount cushion.
This drive is old enough for the rubber to have now taken a "set".... so I'd not reuse them!
At minimum, the FWD ring must be new....... this is the ring that seals the Flywheel Cover to the Transom Shield (the AFT ring does not make a seal.... only serves as a cushion).
Lube them if you want to, with a non-petroleum based product so that they can nestle into position correctly.

The clamping ring must be snug only during the triangulation/adjustment of the engine.
The Y-pipe-to-riser alignment is a portion of this engine mount adjustment.... i.e., side to side engine height adjustment.

After all is aligned, ONLY then do we finish tightening the six "tap bolts", and fold the locking tabs over.

Do not forget to replace the PDS bearing.... very important, and very inexpensive to do!

Hi Ricardo

Thanks again as usual. I have not been on here much do to a career change,but it is good to be back. Could you advise me on the transom shield to transom torque? I cannot find this spec. in my Volvo Factory , Seloc or Clymer books. The transom is 2 and 1/2 inches of laminated plywood and I will be using a new transom gskt. This is a DP-C drive.

Thanks Again
Jon C Allen

I don't recall seeing Volvo Penta list a torque spec for these.
I've been tightening bolts for so long, I just have a feel for these particular studs/nuts!

Here's a Standard bolt torque spec settings chart (see second chart down).
To be safe, you may want to consider these to be grade #5.... grade #7 max....... thread pitch is NC I believe.
Note "dry" vs "oiled" threads when reading the specs.

Remember...... these are compressing against a fiberglass/wood core only ... not a against a metal component.
I'd likely favor being on the light side of the spec.
If the washers depess into the core some, these can be further tightened in the future.

If the core material appears to be somewhat soft, larger plate washers can be used also.

Last edited:
Back