Logo

don't know what to do about my motor starting to race when I get to 6k,

jimbud

I am not a great mechanic, so, I am seeking input on a problem with my 2006 Honda, 20hp motor.
When I get to full throttle , or six thous. , on the tach., my motor starts to race as if the prop. is loose. I have checked the prop., and all seems tight, and when I slow down the motor, it runs great.
I don't know what to do.

You possibly have a spun prop , in other words the rubber bush in the prop has lost its grip the outer diameter of the rubber bush is spinning and does not drive the prop under load , try another prop and we take it from there .

Agree that is the likely cause. If you inspect that rubber bushing closely where it mates to the prop hub and where is mates to the shaft sleeve, you will likely see that the rubber is slightly raised distorted where it mates on one or the other. That's a sure sign of a spun prop.

I agree with failing prop hub. But, you may want to try the following:

Pull your kill switch so the outboard CAN NOT run.
Take the engine hood off so that you can view the timing belt.
Drop the outboard into forward gear.

Try to turn the prop by hand.Not far, just an inch is good.
If you get the prop to move, AT ALL, and there is no corresponding movement at the timing belt, the hub is definitely failed.

This little test might not work in all cases but on outboards under 50hp it is usually a good way to reassure yourself that you need to buy a new prop.

Good luck.

Back