Logo

Dont know what I did...

Abwan

Hi i have 35 hp 84 or 85 mercury outboard. I lost the key and couldnt see where it was on ignition until I disconnected it and when I put back in, even after putting wires back same way it wont even turn over with the new key. I know battery is good cause was tested by turning on my trolling motor. Some stuff I read said there may be a breaker I tripped or bad ground Idk. Any help would be great.

sorry, dont understand exactly what you did? where did u undo wires, on the control box or at the motor? check the main fuse on the side of the engine in case it blew - also if u messed with the main large round black harness plug make sure its clean and very firmly connected..

Sorry. Ok so basically what the update is this. There is no power being sent to the control/shifter/ignition box. The guy at marina hooked some push button thing to the motor itself and turned over fine. So not a dead battery or anything. I asked the guy if there was a fuse on the motor but he didnt know. (Of course I get the guy who just started and is being trained. The norm repair guy is gone.) so anyway to try and clarify, ive never had problems with starting the boat ever and had no issues until I pulled the ignition to get key code. I may have had battery still hooked up. I really dont think so though cause i take the positive connector off the battery to make sure doesnt kill battery. So if there is a fuse, where is it at/look like? Any links u could send showing this would be great. Im just a "common sense jack of all trades master of none" so if shown i can fix it like I replaced they impeller and housing on it after you tube watching. Anyway saying that just so u know i dont know much about outboards but am not an idiot :) so again basically what we figured out is for whatever reason the quicksilver control box has no power. Also idk where or what the large round black harness plug is. The only thing that was touched was the quicksilver control box so if its in there then maybe? But maybe taking that off if what ur talking about is the connection at the motor, then maybe messing with the control box jiggled whatever plug u mention loose? Idk. Again any help would be great. Right now i have to wait until monday for main guy to come back so if i can fix on my own i can still save the million dollars an hour they charge. Thanks in advance!

well on my mariner - on the right side of the motor is a big round black plug that connects the whole motor to front controls.. if u disconnect that and short the starter (as the guy did) and it works the key circuit is obviously not working..

I have a single fuse next to my reg/rect in a black rubber tube, pull it open and u shd see a glass fuse, thats your main circuit (to key) - hopefully thats blown..

heres a pic of what im referring to -

20120520_185933.jpg

Back