Logo

Does Bulletin #56 apply to 2002 BAHJ-1000118?

whh333

The reason I ask this is that I searched the threads and called Honda as recommended. Being the original owner of the engine, I doubt it had been done. Honda said that Bulletin #56 does not apply to this engine. I asked to clarify whether it had been done or never needed to be done and they said it did not ever apply to this engine.

I then searched some more and saw where other 2002 BF225 owners had done their engines, and another thread showed the serial numbers and they encompassed mine.

If it needs to be done, please send me the bulletin that seems to be passing around.

I have not had any O2 problems or ECM light and the only reason I started searching is that my engine now seems to be running a cylinder short on plane (first time out since sitting all winter, low pressure fuel filter and O-ring, as well as water separator O-ring changed during my regular service), so I will be changing the water separator filter and draining/replacing high pressure filter and looking at #6 plug, etc.

Also, what is the VST and where is it located? I have the manual, but cannot find a reference to this part.

Honda tech had given me major misinformation regarding my remote control lever last week, I hope this is not another mistake.

Thanks for any ideas.

whh333

Last edited:
They're blowing smoke - the SB clearly lists BAHJ 1000001 through 1500022. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send the SB.

You are doing all the right things to check out your motor so far. You need to drain your VST. There is a plastic hose clipped to the back of your engine, starboard side. Unhook it and follow it to the base. There you will see a set screw. If you don't have your cowling off (you'll need to take it off to change HP filter and plugs) you'll need a 10" flat blade screw driver to open it up. Put the end of the hose in a quart size glass jar, and open the set crew. Fuel and any water/gunk should come out. If nothing comes out. blown some low pressure compressed air into the tube to try to break the clog. If that doesn't work, you will need to remove and drain.

When is the last time you changed plugs? That would be the first thing I would do. Be sure to use NGK 1ZFR6F11 - they are about $20.00 each.

It appears, by you serial number, that the O2 sensor was probably replaced by SB#70 in 4/2011
The thermostat housings were changed 5/2010.
There is no indication of SB56 being done. It would have been done, only if you were having a problem related to the bulletin while in warranty.

You have an outstanding "official recall" yet to be done....SB39 Engine wiring harness. Even though your motor is out of warranty, the Honda dealer will perform this for free (it is a safety recall). I am surprised it is not already done, since there were a couple of others done.

Mike

Engine is now running smoothly, thanks to all the help I have received here. I drained the VST, and the only challenge was getting the siphon flow started because the lower cowls were in place. I used a brake vacuum pump to start the siphon and then filled a quart jar as suggested. It was clear and clean, which seemed validate using non-ethanol fuel for the last few years. Upon running the engine, it was perfect without any misses or hesitations at any speed. The only problem is that I do not know whether the VST drain corrected the problem (I would feel much more confident if the fuel had contamination.) or if this was the result of the plugs (original plugs 11 years old, but only 147 hours use) going through a heat/cool cycle or two and self-correcting. If it is the plugs, then the problem will likely reoccur, and I will replace them at the end of this season when the boat is out of the lift and more accessible.

The fact that I have not had problems explains the SB56 not being done--I thought all the engines would have it done, and it still sounds like I need to do this one, even though I idle the engine down slowly and keep it running until my lift is beginning to bring it out of the water. Will get the wiring harness thing done as well.

Thanks to chawk_man and hondadude for all the input, and my family is delighted to have a well-running boat!!

Bill

Bill - just some thoughts...

The act of draining the VST may have been just enough to open up and clear the needle valve that regulates pressure.

Yes - change those plugs at the first convenient time. Even if not missing, their burn efficiency is likely deteriorated. So new plugs will get you some performance improvement and economy. The first time you pull those plugs be VERY careful. You may want to get a professional marine mechanic to do that. You have an engine that has been in service since 2002 and PLUGS HAVE NEVER COME OUT???? There is a high probability that the stainless steel plug base has welded to the aluminum head, and that can be big trouble. Once plugs are out and replaced, make it a habit to pull them every 100 hours, or every season, whichever comes first, and grease the threads with a high-heat-resistant grease.

Now - man-to-man, toys-to-toys, you only have 147 hours on a 2002 engine???? I would suggest you re-examine your priorities. Just some unsolicited advice from an old F _ _ T.

I agree the VST draining was the probable solution--the effects were just too immediate to be coincidental. I just expected to see some contamination of some kind.

Regarding the plugs, I had them out when I did the 20-hour valve adjustment, and my plugs always get the never-seize treatment. They were almost seizing at 20 hours, and I wondered why Honda would have installed them dry.

At 58, I agree with you that life doesn't get lived by accident. I got this motor as New Old Stock a year before Katrina, which trashed my home and my business, then both parents convalesced and died, and too many friends died as well, mainly cancer. The skies are finally clearing, and I spent a lot of hours getting the boat in shape for this season, and plan to dedicate more time to it. All of a sudden, my 8-year-old girl is 14 and wanting to get her license, so we have a lot of plans that need to be fulfilled.

I hope your seas are friendly and happy as well.

Bill

Back