Logo

Does anyone know the part # or bolt size for this engine block bolt?

utzig2001

I was working on a friend's boat (Mercruiser 4.3 LX Gen+) and noticed when installing a new starter and the blue drain plugs on the starboard side that he has a bolt missing from the block and someone had caulked the bolt hole closed at some point. The caulk did not hold up and I think it allowed some water inside.

I was unable to find a schematic showing me a part number for this bolt. Can anyone tell me the part number or size & thread pitch of this bolt (see picture). Thanks for any help!

need this mercruiser bolt.png

It could be the location for the dipstick tube.

I wondered if it was an alternate hole for the dipstick. Dipstick currently comes out of the port side, but I wonder if this hole is for the option to put it on the other side. I just need to know what size bolt to stick in there to plug it. Thanks.

Bolt a poor choice for plugging it. Better off with an expandable rubber plug. Measure the OD of the dipstick tube ... that dia plug should work.

Bolt a poor choice for plugging it. Better off with an expandable rubber plug. Measure the OD of the dipstick tube ... that dia plug should work.

Thanks guys! I have determined it is indeed an optional hole for dipstick & 3/8". Not sure thread pitch if any. I have to go look closer as from what I found online it may not even be threaded. Will likely go with the rubber plug option. Thanks sandkicker & BT doctur for pointing me in the correct direction.

Back