Logo

Does a 1978 Johnson 55 have two pee holes

B

Bryan Dover

" I have the water exhaust at

" I have the water exhaust at the lower engine bowl and I also have a small stream that comes from a small hole on the front of the leg, about half way down.
This is my first boat and I have the factory service manual but, it still leaves some things to question. "

" Another question, same engin

" Another question, same engine. I've been using the "water ears" on this engine to run it and make adjustments. With all the noise I've been making my neighbors are ready to kill me. Would'nt it be better to submerse the lower half of the engine in a large barrel or garbage can and let the water hose run in the bottom to provide cooling? Seems like it would provide a some muffling of the sound. Anyone tried this? "

"Bryan,
Yes... that is know a

"Bryan,
Yes... that is know as a "test tank"... here is a company that makes them for shops: Kerr's.... but you could also make your own.
Regards,
Andrew"

" Bryan,

Sure, the ea

" Bryan,

Sure, the easiest thing to do is just get yourself a plastic trash barrel. Much easier than metal or something else because you can turn it sideways and bend it around as neccesary. I'll actually (after making sure the prop won't hit the sides) put my 25 HP in gear in one of those and even give it some throttle. W/ my 115 and other larger engines (too big to put in gear), I've used it to create back pressure for more accurate back-yard adjustments.

I've put some thought in the past into building a real test-tank w/ wheels and a drain plug. Using polyester resin/cloth and plywood it'd be pretty cheap and easy; epoxy and plywood would be better, easier, but a little more epensive ( epoxy = $50 gallon, polyester = $15 ). In the end though, you could put together something large enough for in gear testing of even larger outboards; it'd cost between $50 - $150 to build.

Jon "

Back