Logo

Do i need to reset ecm after fixing problem that put motor into limp mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2001 honda bf225. The last 3 or 4 times I have taken the boat out, the motor ran flawless all day. UNLESS I hit a big bump. When that happened, a continuous alarm would sound and the motor would bog down to idle where I would turn it off and back on and it would run fine until hitting a big bump. If I didnt hit a bump to hard it would be fine all day.
Last trip out I hit another bump and it went in to limp mode (i guess) because it would run fine until about 3000rpm or so about 12mph (tach doesnt work) and then it would throw the continuous alarm and bog down to idle where I would have to turn it off and back on. Then it would run fine as long as I would keep it under the rpm point where the alarm would sound and it would bog down. Unfortunately, I didn't look to see what lights were on or off at the switch when it happened.
Today, I did some search on here and the alarm seemed to be oil pressure or overheat. I am getting a good pee stream so I checked the oil and I was shocked. Oil was barely touching the dip stick. So I have changed the oil and filter. (It is now full of oil so pressure should be good now)
So my question... If this is what was causing the problem, will it go out of limp mode on its own or do i have to have the ecm reset? If I need to reset the ecm, I have found on here where someone explained how except everything I seen says its a 4 prong red connector. I dont have any red connectors. I'll try to attach a pic. So I need to know which one I need to use. If it will come out of limp mode on its own thats fine. Im just 1.5 hours from where I can test the motor and I dont want to go that far to test it and the problem be fixed except not knowing because the ecm needed to be reset first.
Thanks for any help in advance!

Sorry won't let me upload pic

Procedure for pulling codes and clearing codes is here:View attachment Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf

It includes a picture of the red 4-prong connector and describes where it is located.

It should not be necessary to clear the codes for the engine to run correctly, but go ahead and do it so that any new faults will show up and not get confused with an old fault.

Here is a list of the fault codes: View attachment MIL Fault Codes Scanned.pdf

Only two things put the engine in LIMP mode, which is 1800 rpm, 1) overheat, which if not addressed within 20 seconds will shut down the engine, and 2) low oil pressure, which will allow the engine to continue to run at 1800 rpm or less.

The key question is where did that oil go?

I have similar problems with the codes, can someone help with this problem solving process please? I bet it's something to do with more complex programming.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2001 honda bf225. The last 3 or 4 times I have taken the boat out, the motor ran flawless all day. UNLESS I hit a big bump. When that happened, a continuous alarm would sound and the motor would bog down to idle where I would turn it off and back on and it would run fine until hitting a big bump. If I didnt hit a bump to hard it would be fine all day.
Last trip out I hit another bump and it went in to limp mode (i guess) because it would run fine until about 3000rpm or so about 12mph (tach doesnt work) and then it would throw the continuous alarm and bog down to idle where I would have to turn it off and back on. Then it would run fine as long as I would keep it under the rpm point where the alarm would sound and it would bog down. Unfortunately, I didn't look to see what lights were on or off at the switch when it happened.
Today, I did some search on here and the alarm seemed to be oil pressure or overheat. I am getting a good pee stream so I checked the oil and I was shocked. Oil was barely touching the dip stick. So I have changed the oil and filter. (It is now full of oil so pressure should be good now)
So my question... If this is what was causing the problem, will it go out of limp mode on its own or do i have to have the ecm reset? If I need to reset the ecm, I have found on here where someone explained how except everything I seen says its a 4 prong red connector. I use https://samploon.com/free-essays/problem-solving/ for programming problem solving and others because these free essays are useful for my business with motors. Im just 1.5 hours from where I can test the motor and I dont want to go that far to test it and the problem be fixed except not knowing because the ecm needed to be reset first.
Thanks for any help in advance!

Sorry won't let me upload pic
I tried to stay cool and put the automatic transmission into 'PARK'. I turned the ignition off, waited a bit, then started the engine. But it doesn't help, so I don't know what to do.

Back