Logo

Distributor reinstallation double checking what I did

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"So, after removing my distrib

"So, after removing my distributor and marking everything BUT the position of the rotor (the most important part!), I reinstalled it today.

I had an old Craftsman remote starter switch that I haven't used in 20 years. Hooked that to the starter and I was able to turn the engine over with the push of a button.

I got the engine to what I thought was TDC on Cyl #1 and verified that the timing mark was within a hair of 0 degrees. I could see the piston right at the top of the cyl too.

I put the distributor back in, it sits flush and the tip of the rotor lines up with the #1 cyl on the cap (I traced the wire back).

I think I have it right but how do I know until I start it?

The way the distributor is keyed, it looks to me like you couldn't be off a "little bit". It's either on or it's off 180 degrees.

Is that a true statement?

Bob"

"With your markings before han

"With your markings before hand, you should have a good idea where it is. If it is off, usually it's a tooth. How much will be driven by how many degrees of rotation are available.

How to start. make sure fuel is in the carb and use the key, like normal. If it doesn't start right up, check the timing with a light. Then start it and make sure it all works then set the timing."

If you cranked the engine over

If you cranked the engine over before reinstalling the distributor be sure the #1 cylinder is at the top on the compression stroke. As mentioned previously you could be 180 deg off. You can put your finger over the spark plug hole to determine that. You can then install the distributor with the rotor pointed at the #1 spark plug wire.

"Bob; It sounds like it all we

"Bob; It sounds like it all went well. If you want to be sure your on the compression stroke and you said you have that remote starter,with that #1 plug out hold your thumb over the open plug hole and bump the engine over until you feel the compression now you know your on the compression stroke bring it to your TDC mark and your good to go. A lot of times when you do it this way you may go past your TDC mark if so just back up to it,allthough you may be quicker on the trigger then I am"

"If you want to verify TDC on

"If you want to verify TDC on the compression stroke, you could also pull a valve cover and be sure that both valves on the number one cylinder are in the closed position."

Back