Logo

Distributor part number?

43_lx_merc_1996

Regular Contributor
I'm trying to match up an electronic ignition for my aq260 without much luck. The number stamped on the side of the distributor is 11114878H6. Doesn't seem to cross reference to any Volvo or Sierra part numbers. Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

The old AQ260 OEM ignition would have been a mechanical ignition distributor (points style).
Are you looking to upgrade to an electronic unit?
If so, there will be quite a few to choose from.

The Mallory YLM 624 AV is a good choice. This uses magnetic triggering with a true reluctor style triggering unit.
The YLU 624 AV uses photo-eye, and some of the others also use photo-eye.... including some of the HEI units.
Some use Hall Effect, including the conversion kits, and quite frankly, I'd avoid these.

The YLM would be my first choice for this engine.

Last edited:
Yes, I am looking to upgrade, but can't find a match to my distributor part number.
Just to be clear here.... to me an electronic upgrade would be a complete new ignition distributor.
A conversion would be something like the Pertronix kit.... of which is Hall Effect.
I'd not wish Hall Effect on anyone.

So.... (A) are you looking to upgrade??? or (B) based on your wanting to match the p/n, are you looking to do a conversion????

If a conversion, you'll want to give some thought to your 25+ year old ignition distributor. It's certainly showing signs of age and wear by now.
The new electronic triggering won't mean much to your engine if the curve/limit are not correct.
If you convert, I'd suggest that you take it in and have it re-bushed and have the curve/limit re-calibrated by a shop who owns an old Distributor Machine.
You'll need to provide the OEM specs to them if you were to do this.

However, by the time that you do this, you'll be $xx into the over-haul and re-calibration....., and $xx into the conversion kit.
At the end of the day, you'll have a Hall Effect ignition system. :mad:

I'd say... take that same money and spend it towards a complete new system.
Perhaps the Mallory YLM VR system, or the Delco in either the EST in an HEI, or a Delco standard EST if you like the idea of EST and photo-eye triggering.

Anything by Pertronix will be Hall Effect.

Here's a YLE624AV for $100 brand new.
I have not used this style before, so I cannot recommend it.
Read the seller's description.... he suggests that it Fits GM V8's from 1987 - 1996, it's computor controlled advance (although it also says mechanical advance), magnetic triggering, no module required.
Call Mallory and ask a few questions....... It may suit your needs.

I'll still recommend the YLM624AV.

Last edited:
Back