Logo

Distributor marking upon removal

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I got my intake manifold re-i

"I got my intake manifold re-installed yesterday. I think the initial problem was the manifold bolts needed to be re-torqued. My guess is the gasket was just loose enough so coolant flowed past the coolant crossover and into the bolt holes.

The guy who did it before used the cork strips at each end but I followed the manual and used RTV.

I think I made a mistake with the distributor though. I marked the position of the distributor housing to the intake manifold and also marked the distrbutor cap to distributor orientation (hard to get that wrong though, you would have to be off 180 degrees).

What I didn't mark was the position of the rotor to the cap. The crankshaft hasn't moved.

Do I need to follow the "engine disturbed" procedure or is there a short cut I can use?

thanks,
Bob"

"Bob; The way I have done is t

"Bob; The way I have done is to pull #1 spark plug and bring the piston up all the way, put a screwdriver in plug hole so you can tell when piston is at the top as you turn the crank using a socket on crank bolt.If you feel its too hard to turn by hand pull a few more plugs to reduce the compression, then make sure when distributor is installed that the rotor points to your #1 plug wire position on your distributor cap."

"Bob:

Probably safest to do

"Bob:

Probably safest to do the Engine Disturbed procedure. It should be pretty much as Phil described though you have to make sure you are on the compression stroke. You can verify the piston is "close enough" to TDC by checking the balancer - if the timing mark is within an inch of "0", you are close enough. More than likely, the distributor will not fully seat due to the oil pump drive. That is fixed by keeping light pressure on the distributor while spining the engine over. a half turn is usually more than enough.

You don't have to mark the cap to the distributor - it is keyed and only goes on one way."

Back