Logo

Distributor base rubbing on Oil pump gear

"I have another strange questi

"I have another strange question regarding the engines I bought that were rebuilt.

In my counter-rotator the long collar / bushing that extends down from the distributor into the engine, I discovered today, is rubbing on the oil pump gear.

I have had a strange noise in the engine that sounds like ignition way off and I haven't been able to find the source and today while trying to find it I saw distributor actually turn because the oil pump gear engaged it.

Did Chrysler make different distributors? Do I need this "bushing on the counter-rotator?

Anyone have any answers?

Thanks

Mark"

"......Did Chrysler make diffe

"......Did Chrysler make different distributors?

Yes--the counter-rotation distributor has a thrust bearing for forces in the opposite direction.

........Do I need this "bushing on the counter-rotator?

Yes. Not sure why it's rubbing, though. Can't you just shim the distributor up with a piece of aluminum?

Jeff"

"Jeff,

Thanks again for you

"Jeff,

Thanks again for your answers and advice.

I actually have a "dead Chrysler 318" farm in my garage with a number of distributors / bushings / spacers (from 210 Fury M blocks to LM blocks) and I am carting all that stuff back to the boat this afternoon to see if I can fix this problem.

Mark"

"An extra oil ring / spacer at

"An extra oil ring / spacer at the base of the unit fixed the problem.

Turns out that fixed what I thought was blow by too, not to mention it now runs a little smoother.

Obviously was burning oil as the base of the bushing rubbed against the oil pump gear.

Very strange.

Thanks again for the help.

Do I owe you a drink yet?

Mark"

I am almost there.

With tha

I am almost there.

With that problem solved I was able to tune the engine and watch the propeller turn forward and backward.

Now I just have to sort out a plugged carb problem on engine number two and i may actually get boating this year.

Thanks agin.

Mark

Back