Logo

Digital Gauge Question

BigNiner19

Contributing Member
I have the digital tach and digital speedometer for my new to me 2005 BF225 Honda. I just finished rigging everything up. Everything appears to be "working". The gauge displays come on and the speedometer appears to have every function working correctly (fuel burn, fuel level, battery volt, etc)

However - On the Tachometer. The tach (rpms), trim meter, Odometer all seem to work. I can actually press mode and it will switch between odometer and hour meter which somehow displays 0 hours. (this cannot be possible, this is a used engine that Im sure has a few hours on it)

But my question is, is there something else or anything else this gauge should display. Like engine temperature or something like that? Is there anything I can scroll through like you can with the speedometer? Anyone have a clue why the total hours is not reading correctly? What would an ACG warning be?

If needed I can make a you tube video of what the display actually shows.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the link. That was very informative. I guess after reading that, everything is working as it should. There doesn't appear to be anything more than the total hours and resettable hours that you can "scroll" to. I thought there was more engine data (like engine temperature and more) that would appear. But it looks to be that only if something were running wrong something would appear on the tachometer gauge.

Now if I could just figure out why the TOTAL hours is not reading correctly. Or could there be a possibility since this was once a coast guard motor that they swapped out ECMs and thats why it reads 0 total hours?

From what I see it dont have a odometer maybe what your thinking is the odometer is the total hours the trip meter can be reset by pressing the mode and set together. press the mode to switch between hour and trip.

Okay that sounds to be what I've got. So the only thing the tachometer can switch to is hour and resettable hours only?

If that is the case, then everything is working correctly, minus the total hours reading.

The motor is a 2005 and was used by the coast guard. I imagine there are a few hours on it. Its a very clean engine, but I'm not sure why the total hours wont read off the ECM. I will have some time later to look more into it. But Im 99.9% certain everything is hooked up correctly.

The guy I bought the entire package from also said he couldn't get the total hours to read on the gauge.

It sounds like you are using the old digital gauges and not the new NMEA 2000 gauges.

The older digital gauges do not read the hours directly off of the engine's ECM. The hours are accumulated by the actual running of the engine. So it is possible that the actual hours on the engine and the hours on the tachometer are different.

If the tachometer is working, but the total hours are not accumulating, it is possible that the gauge is faulty.

Mike

It sounds like you are using the old digital gauges and not the new NMEA 2000 gauges.

The older digital gauges do not read the hours directly off of the engine's ECM. The hours are accumulated by the actual running of the engine. So it is possible that the actual hours on the engine and the hours on the tachometer are different.

If the tachometer is working, but the total hours are not accumulating, it is possible that the gauge is faulty.

Mike

Well that certainly clears things up a bit. I have no idea how old the digital tach is. Would the newer NMEA 2000 gauges adapt to a 2005 Honda 225? I thought Honda didnt make their engine N2K capable untill 2010 ?

It reads 18 hours on one, and 0 hours on the other by switching back and forth with mode. Perhaps that is the reason all along. That seems unfortunate, these gauges seem hard to come by as it is. I found the digital speedometer from someone online and looked all over the place for that.

What port does the honda dealer use to plug into the motor to read the hours?

One more question on this. My speedometer doesnt read my speed because I elected not to run a pressure hose from the gauge down to the connector off the lower unit of the motor. Is there a way to get the speedometer to read my Garmin GPS speed?

There is another connector on the back of the speedo that I did not plug into anything. Its a black connector. Just curious if this has been done?

One more question on this. My speedometer doesnt read my speed because I elected not to run a pressure hose from the gauge down to the connector off the lower unit of the motor. Is there a way to get the speedometer to read my Garmin GPS speed?

There is another connector on the back of the speedo that I did not plug into anything. Its a black connector. Just curious if this has been done?

I also have not been able to reset the hours on the ODO tachometer. I was able to reset the TRIP back to zero.

The ODO hours is definitely counting up. It started at 18 hours and now has 20 hours. This I cant seem to reset myself? The TRIP Hours I reset back to zero and appeared to be counting as well yesterday.

So the only way to have that speedometer work is to connect the pitot tube pressure hose? It wont read GPS speed connected to my GPS in any way?

What is that black extra connector that looks like a NMEA connector?

According to the gauge instruction manual http://marine.honda.com/owners/manuals/models/BF225 that kimcrwbr1 referred you to....the "hour meter" is not reset-able. My rigging manual indicates the same thing. The trip meter is reset-able, as you have found out.

Yes, you have to connect the pitot tube pressure hose to get the speedometer to work. There are no connections that I know of to a GPS.

That extra black connector is not used. I seem to remember being told that it was for future developments, which never happened.

These gauges are the really just about the same as basic analog gauges only with a digital readout. It does provide fuel flow info, most likely from an algorithm that uses the fuel pulse from the engine, speed, etc.

Mike

Back