Logo

difficut to start 50 hp 1995 johnson

bperry

Contributing Member
recently purchased a pontoon boat with a 50 hp johnson j50tleod Have put it in water twice now and have a hard time keeping it running. Fires and starts I push switch in to choke and it stalls several times until I untie lines start it and get underway. After a few min running at 1500 to 2000 rpm it starts and idles fine. I cleaned both carbs what else do I need to look at. When it idles it is close to 1000 rpm.it also runs well at full throttle after it warms up

Last edited:
What does a compression test show ??----After the motor fires you have to push the key in when the motor falters , untill it warms and smooths out.--A motor in good condition , with the right starting procedure will start right up.

I will check compression and examine plugs. Have never checked compression. It may be I am just not accustomed to this engine. It sure runs good after it is warmed up.I will post compression later. Thanks

Compression is 147 on both cylinders. Plugs were set at 25 reset to.030 Hope that is right.Under the engine cover looks like a fine film of oil. checked VOR lines and they all look good and tight. Not a lot of oil just a real light film

Last edited:
Back