Logo

Different type trim/tilt oils

Eddie327

Since I have been unable to find any documentation relating to the old Prestolite tilt only systems would anyone know for sure what type oil was used or specified to be used in the old systems? I notice reading through some other posts on here some have mentioned 10W30 being correct for there system. I am having trouble with mine lifting my motor unless I assist it by hand. Everything in this system is now brand new from lines, cylinder, pump, motor and oil. The oil I have in the system now is XPS Marine Trim & Tilt. Could this be a oil related issue? Here is a link to the post in the boat electrical systems: https://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/threads/tilt-motor-pump-not-lifting.476972/

Are the aftermarket pumps just not up to the task maybe or just got one that is not working or lifting as it should? If I lift up on motor by hand it will lift it but not on its own. It will lower motor no problem and it will hold motor in raised position once there. Also is there no manual release on this aftermarket pumps as on my original Prestolite? I did loosen the large Allen head screw but not did not lower from a raised position at all. Could a different oil cause this problem or solve this problem? Not sure what else to try at the moment. This is in relation to a 1969 Johnson 85 Model 85ESL69S.

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_164634246editresize.jpg
    PXL_20231022_164634246editresize.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 1
Back