Logo

DF70 very hard to steer

RSB

Suzuki DF70 07001F-032586
It takes 2 hands to turn the steering wheel, I have disconnected the cable and the steering wheel will turn with one finger. I got this engine from a friend when he put a larger one on his boat and it did setup a little while not sure how long, it was stored in a building. When I greased the steering the grease would come out the bottom only. I installed a grease fitting near the top and when the drill got to the bracket shaft there is a lot of powered corrosion.
Greasing it has not helped, been at lease 3 weeks with the upper grease fitting and is still tight or tighter.

I need to know the way to remove the steering bracket(shaft), I removed the foot and thought I could remove the motor mount nuts and get to the bracket. The bottom nuts came off, but the top ones just turn the mount bolt.
Looks like I will have to remove the engine to get to the bolt heads. I looked on ebay for a service manual, anyone have a idea what manual will have the info I will need to tackle this project.:confused:

Last edited:
I have the exact problem. Did you make any progress? Just discovered today. Did you try to take out the upper new fitting and the lower and blow out the greese and flush with salt away.

I have the exact problem. Did you make any progress? Just discovered today. Did you try to take out the upper new fitting and the lower and blow out the greese and flush with salt away.

I toke the engine block off to get to the the steering bracket shaft. I had to lift up(using a chain hoist) on the the steering shaft as I moved it side to side to get it out. The shaft was rusting and the aluminum was corroding where the bushing was so it was making the bushing to tight to steer.
After cleaning the rust and corrosion and putting the steering shaft in with grease it can be turned with my little finger. I am waiting for the gaskets to put it all together. I borrowed a repair manual from my local outboard shop(it is a Johnson manual has enough info to give me what I needed to work on this Suzuki) without it I would not knowned about lining up the oil pump the correct way.
I have worked on other engines and equipment to know the basics but there's always something you could use a manual or good advive to get the job done correct.

Good luck with yours!

I am having the same problem with my 2007 DF90. I removed the one and only grease fitting and flushed the steering column with penetrating fluid to dissolve the old hard grease, could not get the fluid to run out of the top of the column because it all kept blowing out the bottom of the shaft. It did help the engine to turn easier (steering cable removed), but still pretty stiff. All Suzuki had to do was put grease fittings in the top and bottom where the bushings are to alleviate this condition! I am considering drilling a hole into upper housing and trying to force penetrating oil into it, I just can't stand the idea of removing the engine to lube a shaft or replace a bushing! If anyone has tried this before, or another method, PLEASE ADVISE! Thank you.

I have read that a heat gun to soften up old grease might help depending on how much corrosion vs old grease is causing you grief. What they did was warm up the area around the steering bracket, pump grease in, turn the engine a bunch of times, repeat. Looking at my service manual(2009 DF-90A)the engine has to come off to access the steering bracket. Should you need to disassemble selffixer.com has a service manual for your engine.

IMG_6860.jpeg

I have read that a heat gun to soften up old grease might help depending on how much corrosion vs old grease is causing you grief. What they did was warm up the area around the steering bracket, pump grease in, turn the engine a bunch of times, repeat. Looking at my service manual(2009 DF-90A)the engine has to come off to access the steering bracket. Should you need to disassemble selffixer.com has a service manual for your engine.

View attachment 31850
Thank you William for the tip on using a heat gun, but I believe that I would still have the problem of getting the grease to make it to the top bearing or bushing because of it coming out the bottom of the shaft. Looking at the diagram you attached, it appears the the top mount is a sealed bearing, am I correct?

Never had mine apart so I have no first hand experience. I don’t see any bearings in the Clamp/Swivel/Steering Brackets Components parts breakdown diagram only bushings.

Back