Logo

DF225

donaldstackpole

Hello, Went offshore yesterday and got out about 15 miles and the engine quit, tried starting numerous times without success. When we squeezed the primer bulb it stayed kind of soft. So I had just replaced my water/fuel separator with one of those with a clear bottom and drain valve. I had had a small problem with it in the past and thought it was the culprit. I needed to by pass it figuring that it was somehow restricting my gas flow. I searched the boat for a tube of some sort of tubing I could use which resulted in me cutting a section of the new $125 fishing rod I just purchased 2 days prior. After bypassing the filter I was able to squeeze the primer bulb and it got solid. I cranked the ignition and the engine cranked up. For about 5 minuets and died again. Primed it up again and once again the engine started...Then died. I had a buddy with me and had him keep pumping the bulb once I got it started and it worked as long as he could keep pumping. Needless to say at 6mph and 3-4 ft. seas we made it back to port. Fuel check valve? Fuel/Water separator and Check valve? Thoughts PLEASE. Thanks,

Loose fuel line clamp allowing air to enter? Poor seal on the water separator bowl? Notice any air bubbles in your low pressure fuel filter? You don’t mention smelling fuel so I would concentrate on the suction side of the fuel line, downstream of your low pressure fuel pump.

Back