Logo

Details on Motor

mriup94

Hey all, I just recently purchased a Mariner 4hp two stroke, don't know much about outboards and was hoping for some information. Can you identify the year by serial #? Also, is there anything I should know about this particular model? Serial # 0D985388. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

That is a 1995 model

It's a Mercury Mariner (there were Yamaha Mariner models - made exclusively for Merc, but not this one).

The single cylinder 4 and 5 horse models built in the mid 1990's (may) have been built by Tohatsu (who now builds every Merc motor below 40 horses).

I have never personally seen one of these models (other than in a showroom), so can't give you any first hand account.

As long as you don't expect too much out of it - it's only 4 horses after all - could use on a square back canoe, as a in/out of harbour ("Canadian" harbours have a "u" in them :)) on a sailboat or as a trolling motor on a 14/15 footer that wasn't too heavy, you should be happy with it.

That is a 1995 model

It's a Mercury Mariner (there were Yamaha Mariner models - made exclusively for Merc, but not this one).

The single cylinder 4 and 5 horse models built in the mid 1990's (may) have been built by Tohatsu (who now builds every Merc motor below 40 horses).

I have never personally seen one of these models (other than in a showroom), so can't give you any first hand account.

As long as you don't expect too much out of it - it's only 4 horses after all - could use on a square back canoe, as a in/out of harbour ("Canadian" harbours have a "u" in them :)) on a sailboat or as a trolling motor on a 14/15 footer that wasn't too heavy, you should be happy with it.

Thanks so much for the response. I do plan on using this on a 15 square back canoe, not looking for lots of speed, just enough to fish without having to paddle.

You will be able to water ski behind that canoe :) I have a 2.5 horse (twin) Evinrude on my 15 footer, an it "goes like snot"...

Back