Logo

Dc voltage at the power pack.

Mattd

So I recently got my motor running 1996 evinrude 25 3cy. E25QLED...the power pack failed and this is the third pack in 6 years. I have found battery voltage at the pack when key is in on position but not in the off. I eliminated the kill switch as the issue... I found the voltage at the purple wire at the key switch. The purple wire feeds the wire harness on the dash sensor. I've tried disconnecting the dash gauge and warning horn but the voltage remains at the power pack. This same purple wire runs too the rectifier and charges battery. By unplugging the purple wire at the key I've eliminated voltage at the power pack but also stopped motor from charging battery when running. It's also killed the power to dash sensor. now I'm not even sure if the voltage is normal to be at this year power pack. Or do I have a short some where in that dash harness or key switch. Any one have any insight on this. Thank agsin.

Voltage To Powerpack Failures
(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Systems)
(J. Reeves)

The usual cause of having those type powerpacks fail repeatedly is having a very small of voltage applied to the Black/Yellow wire (Kill Circuit) at the pack. Test as follows.
Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire at the powerpack.

Insert either a ampere meter or a volt meter set to its lowest DC voltage reading between that Black Yellow wire and ground.

With the ignition key in the OFF position, observe the meter reading. Now turn the ignition key to the ON position and again observe the meter reading.

Any reading, movement of the meter needle, even a microvolt, would indicate that battery voltage is being applied to that Black/Yellow wire. If a reading is present, remove the other end of that Black/Yellow from the raised terminal of the ignition switch.

If the reading ceases to exist when the Black/Yellow wire is removed from the ignition switch, replace the switch. If the reading continues to exist, there would be a short of some kind in either the engine or instrument wiring harness.... to determine which, simply unplug the large RED electrical plug at the engine which would eliminate the instrument cable.

Note that the black/yellow wire must not have any other wire attached to it for the following reason!

Keep in mind that any accessory that has 12 volts running to it, especially when turned on, will have voltage flowing thru it and trailering out thru its black ground wire to complete the circuit. If that accessory has it's black ground wire attached to the "M" terminal that the black/yellow wire is attached to.... you will have voltage flowing directly to the powerpack.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Hey thanks for reply joe. Can you reread my statement and keep in mind that 1996 powerpack. It's you who got me looking into this problem as you responded to a different thread with same info. Great info and I think it's got me on the right track. Just need to go further with it.

The purple wire is supposed to have voltage on it ..your are looking for stray voltage on the black/yellow when key is on not running...

The purple wire is supposed to have voltage on it ..your are looking for stray voltage on the black/yellow when key is on not running...
Thanks faz for replying. I assumed that but wasn't sure so thanks for clearing up. I'm finding voltage at the CDI on the black n yellow wire (motor not running) with key on. Is dc voltage normal at the power pack? As only way to eliminate is unplug the purple wire at the key. Unplugging the black and yellow at key doesn't eliminate the voltage at Cdi at key on. Help plz.

As "faztbullet states..... voltage is supposed to be present at the purple wire when the key is in the ON position at the "A" terminal.

The problem is that somewhere within the ignition switch, there is somehow a leak-over of that voltage to the black/yellow wire at the raised "M" terminal when the key in that ON position.

The cure = Replace the ignition switch.

As "faztbullet states..... voltage is supposed to be present at the purple wire when the key is in the ON position at the "A" terminal.

The problem is that somewhere within the ignition switch, there is somehow a leak-over of that voltage to the black/yellow wire at the raised "M" terminal when the key in that ON position.

The cure = Replace the ignition switch.
ok makes sense but what doesn't make sense is that there is a voltage reading at the CDI even when I unplug the black/yellow wire at the switch Is that possible? Thanks.

The purple wire is for powering up Quickstart in pack and will always have voltage when key is turned on. You want to check the boat harness side not the CDI side for voltage. Check from ground to blk/yell and to blk or blk/wht

Back