Logo

Cylinder not firing 54 Evinrude #25916

kerry_smith

"I have a 1954 Evinrude #25916

"I have a 1954 Evinrude #25916 that has a cylinder not getting fire (top). Points are set to spec. I attached a wheel puller where the inspection hole plate goes but the flywheel will not come off to determine if the issue is in the wire or in the magneto assembly, penetrating oil applied but to no avail, so far. I am affraid to put too much torque on the top of the crankshaft for fear of stripping the three attaching receivers for the cover bolts.
Ideas?"

"make sure the screws are thre

"make sure the screws are threaded in straight and as far in as they will go so you have plenty of pulling power--
the fly wheel should "pop" off long before you strip out the screws--
its helpful if you can find a way to immobilize the flywheel--besides a flywheel puller, you may need a flywheel holder--these are common tools in small engine repair shops that work on lawn mowers
Briggs and Stratton and Techumsa make several models--many of the tools used on these small four cycle engines are useful on outboard engines--"

"Still no workey. Is there a r

"Still no workey. Is there a release mechanism? There is no indication of such in the service manual. The manual appears to be a copy of the original published by Evinrude, no ISBN #, or publishing information other than a revision date of 1960."

"Attach your flywheel puller,

"Attach your flywheel puller, snug in down putting pulling pressure on it and then hit the certer bolt, on your puller, with a fairly heavy hammer...Don't be affrid to give it a good hit...Tap it a couple time if needed...It should come loosse..."

I'm up to an 8 pound sledg

I'm up to an 8 pound sledge dropped about a foot from above the wheel puller to the top of the bolt on the wheel puller. Keep going? What about applying heat?

Yes. There is a small square h

Yes. There is a small square hole next to the bolt on the crankshaft top. It is about an eighth of an inch square. Around the circumference of the bolt. It appears almost like a C shaped ring around the bolt.

"The 'square' hole is

"The 'square' hole is the key way for the flywheel key, ok. Try to encrease the torque on the puller center bolt and hit harder! You have to hit with a short hard knock!"

"I finally got the flywheel of

"I finally got the flywheel off. I took a step back and looked at the weel puller mechanism as it was attached and noticed it was not lining up perfectly. The end of the puller bolt was flat. I went out, got a new one with a point on the end and it came off finally! New thread to follow. How to test the ignition system. Thanks Morten, Jason and Tom! Your advice was on, my tools weren't."

Back