Logo

cylinder head corrosion

Ash123

[FONT=&quot]Hi guys, bit of a novice here from Melb Australia. Have had this 1975 Evinrude 50 running quite well for a few years but rebuilt the carbs with new kit and replaced cylinder head gasket . Ran well for a while but noticed it bogged down when I tried to go full throttle . I have stripped it down and noticed corossion between the two cylinders . I'm not sure if it was there before? I think there was a bit of a hole but the salt water seems to have made I worse. Can anybody advise me what to do? I had a feeling I may not have retorqued the cylinder head bolts after running it and that's why the loss of power ? As I said , I'm mechanically minded but new to outboards. I've attached some pics , Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance , Ash[/FONT]

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210123_162204.jpg
    thumbnail_20210123_162204.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 69
  • thumbnail_20210123_162207.jpg
    thumbnail_20210123_162207.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 72
  • thumbnail_20210123_162210.jpg
    thumbnail_20210123_162210.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 64
  • thumbnail_20210123_162222.jpg
    thumbnail_20210123_162222.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 50
  • thumbnail_20210123_162227.jpg
    thumbnail_20210123_162227.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 48
  • thumbnail_20210123_162240.jpg
    thumbnail_20210123_162240.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 40
You could take it to a mahine shop they will tell ya if its too far gone or not, do the bores look good is it worth spending money on is what would be going through my mind,if the heads like that whats the rest of it like,food for thought,cheers

I just sent a 1969 Ford Mustang part to a guy in Australia. It goes to Kentucky first, then overseas. He bought the part from me on eBay. It was $60 and I charged him $20 shipping.....he covered the rest but I don't know what the excess cost was. Want me to check with him to see what the shipping proceedure involves? He is in Victoria. I have a head around, I think too. Its likely the new gasket didn't seat well once the corroded area was disturbed. Actually, I could recommend an experienced mig welder that may be able to fix it, then reface head, but sadly....he's talking to you from about 7000 km away.

Last edited:
I just sent a 1969 Ford Mustang part to a guy in Australia. It goes to Kentucky first, then overseas. He bought the part from me on eBay. It was $60 and I charged him $20 shipping.....he covered the rest but I don't know what the excess cost was. Want me to check with him to see what the shipping proceedure involves? He is in Victoria. I have a head around, I think too. Its likely the new gasket didn't seat well once the corroded area was disturbed. Actually, I could recommend an experienced mig welder that may be able to fix it, then reface head, but sadly....he's talking to you from about 7000 km away.

Could I try JB Weld and reface it? The bores look fine , I think I just didn't torque it down properly .

i have also been working with similar problem with my 3hp. During rebuild i noticed that cylinder head was eaten from the same point, but much more, and there was like small deep hole. I put "new" used, but good, cylinder head from my 3hp johnson, which i have bought for parts. Same motor saved the life of my 3hp Lightwin, since i also took good pistons from that engine. Other parts of my engine are corrosion free.

Could I try JB Weld and reface it? The bores look fine , I think I just didn't torque it down properly .

You could yes. My advice if you go that route is make sure all to corrosion is removed. Otherwise it will creep under the JB Weld. Otherwise like TimGuy said send it our way and either Tim or myself could weld it and flatten it.

Cheaper to find one on E-bay and pay one way shipping.-----I should start listing some of that stuff on that site I think.

It cost me 150 a head for reface and welding work , ebay the shipping will be more than the part and summer will be gone before you see it, take it to shop wed you be fishing fri have a good straya day .cheers

You can do pretty good on eBay. It supplements our income for sure. If I could get my son to photograph and list all this junk here, maybe I'd have room for the wife's car in the pole barn. There is a jump off shipper to Australia down in KY.

Yea mate nothing wrong with ebay if your not in a hurry and you dont mind paying more for shipping than the part is worth

Last edited:
I have some USA vehicles in the Philippines and had my brother ship parts to me there via USPS. We're talking about brake calipers fuel pumps injectors and other parts as well as specialty tools. It took about two weeks to receive the parts and I saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars. The boxes arrived a little beat up but everything was there.

Off topic much? Cant save hundreds on a 50$ part and 2 weeks is still 2weeks IF it got here on time.be more lika a month. Ash123 there was a parts motor on gummy in your area might be worth a look.

Only cost him $65 bucks to ship a 10 pound box. Calipers came as a second shipment. So I could get the head and bolts there for about $115 bucks.....unless Australia is more expensive than Philippines. A head and bolts would run about $50 bucks here. This is a freshwater head. The guy in Victoria just spent $64 to get his Mustang part shipped. Just trying to help. Hardly off topic. Last time I looked, we were talking about shipping. Just trying to make more friends down under.....looking to buy a Holden.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210124-233608_crop_76_compress2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210124-233608_crop_76_compress2.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back