Logo

CURSED!!! evinrude 55hp electic shift 197? -

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Its official - im losing my nut with this thing..

zero spark. zip. had it running 2 weeks ago. Received 2- yes TWO cdi packs, both dead! someone hand me a stick of dynamite please.

What on earth more can i do..

I have the yellow plug which is currently disconnected. Not 100% sure what year - Shift diode is currently disconnected, as is kill wire - all i have connected are the trigger, stator, ground and coil wires-

stator DVA is 215v disconnected (brown to gnd), drops to 0.5v with pack connected.. Trigger wires also within spec - 0.5v minimum.

Soon as i connect stator to pack it drops. reg/rect disconnected as well - to exclude as much as possible..

I also bought a pack of ebay - NOS and same thing. How can THREE packs all have the same results??

Could weak magnets put out power but not have enough juice for the pack? would cracked magnets produce power but not work?

well the DVA spec on the stator disconnected is 200v - connected it drops to 0.5v which would indicate the pack..

Ill have to dbl check notes 2moro but 99% sure the trigger wires were in spec disconnected - DVA at least, ohms too. Connected they also dropped-

This whole darn motor is just the biggest pain in the neck-

Stator could be fine but timer base not triggering the pack.

Outboards basically run on AC power generated by the spinning of flywheel magnets around stationery coils of wire- if the magnets crack the North/south poles get switched and the whole system falls on its face-

The stator provides the juice to make the spark, the trigger is just a triggering device that tells the pack to release the stored energy from the stator - both use the same principle, like an operator pressing a switch to launch a rocket- over and over many times a second..

The fact that Im getting the correct volts disconnected and almost nothing when hooking up the pack is usually an indication the pack is bad - however im getting zero spark and suspecting magnets at this point as ive tested 3 packs in a row all with the same results.

What's this about cracked magnets? Please elaborate.

I doubt the magnets are faulty !!------So if the flywheel does not spin fast enuff would you expect to see a spark ?-----I am thinking some of your testing methods are faulty,-----Sorry.-----With a yellow plug the motor can only be a 71 or 72 model.----Paint color makes me think 71 model.-----Do you have a factory manual ?

I doubt the magnets are faulty !!------So if the flywheel does not spin fast enuff would you expect to see a spark ?-----I am thinking some of your testing methods are faulty,-----Sorry.-----With a yellow plug the motor can only be a 71 or 72 model.----Paint color makes me think 71 model.-----Do you have a factory manual ?

Ill shoot a video today and you can take a look at my methods- covid has left me very foggy past week but i have triple checked everything

ok i added a quick video -

take a look and see- all packs = same results.

Last edited:
Need to clean up your grounds and ground straps. Also need to see if voltage on #5 terminal wire with key in on position and a good ground to terminal #4 of pack

I did an ohms test to ground and ran a separate ground from pack to batt negative no difference - nothing is connected except the stator, trigger, ground and coils- i dont see what else i can do-

Need to clean up your grounds and ground straps. Also need to see if voltage on #5 terminal wire with key in on position and a good ground to terminal #4 of pack

Only a couple of things will take out a pack....1) voltage on keyswitch terminal from defective switch or added killswitch....2) bad ground/s on ignition plate...3) inductive kickback into capacitor from bad ignition coil.

Pappy, did Mr. Burns ever give us a yes or no to any voltage being diverted to the black/yellow kill wire going to the pack? This certainly isn't "rocket science"....or is it?

i did mention that in the first post - kill wire is disconnected and has been ever since. I did test it for voltage a month before and found a voltage coming through it - ot has been permanently removed and a new one wired straight from the switch but never connected while I sort this out.. the switch tests fine -

On top I also mentioned the harness plug is disconnected - which automatically would indicate that yes, the kill wire is thus DISCONNECTED DURING ALL TESTS.

I have 2 new coils on their way (not cheap chinese junk) but at least ones from sierra (taiwanese?) - will update..

Pappy, did Mr. Burns ever give us a yes or no to any voltage being diverted to the black/yellow kill wire going to the pack? This certainly isn't "rocket science"....or is it?

Ignition plate being under the flywheel? or you mean on the pack itself? Pack ground is fine - I havent checked the ones under fw - Ill pull flywheel again and see-

as mentioned ohms from pack ground to batt - is 0.1 ohms - basically zero resistance. There are 2 ground straps running to the pack bracket as well.. its very well grounded..

In fact when I test the stator brown I use the ground strap going TO the pack - it produces 185v... = good ground there.

Only a couple of things will take out a pack....1) voltage on keyswitch terminal from defective switch or added killswitch....2) bad ground/s on ignition plate...3) inductive kickback into capacitor from bad ignition coil.

We are talking about the black/yellow wire that probably goes to the switch box at #5 post. Come to think of it, did Johnson or Evinrude ever even have an electric shift 55 hp? I think the 55 came out in 76 or 77. However, I can't say for sure without checking.

Last edited:
The 68 and 69 model 3 cylinder 55 HP were hydro-electric shift !!-----This man has a 2 cylinder 71 model 50 HP I think.

Chaps chaps chaps - the KILL WIRE IS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE EQUATION- I have never had it connected. The original one was faulty, it has been permanently removed.

Again - THERE IS NO KILL WIRE to the pack to blow it.

This is a very odd situation.. I have ordered 2 new coils from sierra, i think there are chinese ones on there.

Also - this is a electric shift model with a YELLOW plug-

If someone can send me a certified working pack id be thrilled!

will remove flywheel today and check-

Do you have an idea to try another stator, despite passing your testing? When you load the stator, expecting it to charge the capacitor, maybe it's not doing the job. Could 3 packs be bad, when they worked before....on another motor?

timguy -

I just found a complete ignition set off a running 50h, stator, trigger, coils, packs - everything good running motor for 100 bucks-

Will update when I get all that hooked up!

This is blowing my mind- only thing I can possibly think of is the chinese coils causing kick back and blowing packs - but they ran fine for a whole day on the CDI unit - until the next morning when I went back - all dead.

Sir Racer? Can you explain your line of thinking? Looks like solenoid goes direct to ground too. No safety switch. Is the safety switch incorporated somewhere else?

The one wire does go to the safety switch !!-----Clearly shown in the picture !-----Need to know what solenoid this is as they are not all the same !

I'm gonna take another look, but this doesn't seem to have the correct solenoid....guess I gotta get stronger glasses.
Yup....see it now. This motor is really rusty. Looks like that 9.9 hp I have that the mice lived in for 5 years.

Last edited:
Some solenoids send 12 volts to a small terminal to send 12 volts to a coil while cranking !!------That does not work on this 50 HP motor if that 12 volts goes to ground !-----I have often said it 12 volts and wiring can be confusing.----The rocket man needs to have a look at this !!!!-----I can't run over and have a quick look at this simple ignition system.

Rocketman is blowing up powerpacks apparently.----I have no issues with working on these simple motors and ignition systems.

Back