Logo

Crusader rod knock - new engine being installed (not mine)

bobct

Advanced Contributor
A guy in my marina has the same year Crusader 454 and velvet drive combination. Apparently he was cruising along and heard a rod knocking and oil pressure was zero. He checked the oil and it was down 4 qts but no where to be found. It was checked either that day or the day before and full. I always like to go to school on situations like this since it's a free education.

Any ideas on what really happened? It's only been two days and he has a used engine and is swapping all the parts over. As a bonus, I helped remove the old transmission from blown engine so I got an idea what it would be like if I need to do it. Not really that hard but heavier than I thought even though I knew it was around 175lbs.

Bob

I'd guess the oil cooler gave up the ghost and the oil. Sometimes, you can feel its presence in the 1.25" hose leading to the HX. If not, I'd suggest pressure testing it, at a minimum, before bolting it on.

I'd also be asking what happened to the oil pressure warning switch....a new switch is less than a case of imported beer and a whole lot easier to change than the entire engine...just my $0.02.

I had an oil pan rust out and dump all the oil in the bilge once. Makes a hell of a mess. Don't think you could miss that one. Luckily, I heard the engine sound different, scanned the gauges saw 0 oil pressure and shut it down quick. No damage.

Back