Logo

Crusader 454 Sudden Problem

ibanez540r

Contributing Member
I was out Saturday afternoon cruising on plane at about 3200 RPM, somewhat rough water, when I suddenly heard a "bang" or "slap" that I assumed to be a belt flying off and slapping the bottom of the deck (had a belt squeak that morning). Put it in neutral, lifted my hatches to inspect and all belts looked good. Go to throttle back up and boat doesn't seem to want to go and just didn't feel right. In neutral both motors seemed to rev fine. Back in gear and I determine port side motor, anything over 1200 or so RPM in gear it starts to go erratic and stumbles, runs rough and tach gets real jumpy. Ended up idling in 5 miles and could feel it was running rough.

I had guests out with me so was unable to check anything further.

Any ideas? I'm hoping something stupid like fuel or ignition, but the noise worries me (although sounds fine idling)... It did back fire one time while trying to throttle up in gear. Maybe the noise was a backfire?

What could cause this condition after running perfectly fine then suddenly going bad?

1990 Carver with twin 454/350 V-Drives.

What could cause this condition after running perfectly fine then suddenly going bad?

Something changed....the slap could have been a backfire...or it could have been the hull coming off a wave....hard to say. Really not much to go on....

any maintenance history you can share?

I'd be inclined to check the ignition system first.....and then move on to the fuel system...

When were your risers changed? That “slap” could have been water in a cylinder destroying a piston. I think a compression test might be informative.

If it idles just as before without what would seem to be skipping or misfiring, or shaking maybe no major damage.

Last edited:
I agree with a compression test is in order before replacing parts. No reason to put good parts on a possible damaged engine,saving$$$$$$

Back