Logo

Crusader 454 alignment

tankmfd

just got my motor a reman from

just got my motor a reman from daddyo's marine in ft.lauderdale and have to buy new motor mounts with out getting to complex me and my dad are gonna try to align it tommorrow. he has feeler guages but he has never done this before anyone got any methods or directions that might simplify this procadure. oh also had to loosen up the trans. mounts had a broken bolt in one mount and am gonna switch the mount bolts. any suggestions appreciated thanks.

"the owners/installation/servi

"the owners/installation/service manuals cover the process fairly well. There are several posts on this topic, here, as well. Use the search button above, use "alignment" for the keyword, and search the Crusader board only. I'm sure you will find what you need.

Changing the mounts is probably overdue. Use a good grade, galvanized 1/2" x 6" lag bolt, per the manual. Make sure the stringers under the mounts are solid. If soft, mushy, or wet, fix themm before you set the engines down. If you have angles or plates, you'll probably have thru bolts for the mounts.

The trick to doing the alignment, IMO, is to get the shaft centered in the log and then aligning the engine to it. You can use the engine side to measure from but one you start moving the engine, that reference is gone. When I rebuilt my whole drive line, I blocked the shaft up off the hull at it's 'center' and proceded from there. The drawback to that is if the blocks move, so does your reference. I'm gonna fab a 'holding fixture' when i do mine in the spring."

"Mark, I was about to metion a

"Mark, I was about to metion a jig of some sort to center the shaft in the log. This would make it a bit less of a pain to get really close. I was thinking wooden wedges but I THINK a nicer item might be a taper 2 piece donut. Even if made of hard rubber, poly ????

As for motor mounts, I did replace one angle attached to the stringer, a good 4" replaced the 3" angle already in place. It was the $37.00 drill bit that hurt the most. Thank goodness the molded in side bolts for the angle iron were in good shape. I only changed the stainless nylock nuts.

Greg, If you dont' find that procedure or a manual, email me and I will send you a PDF."

"Al:

Here's the summary

"Al:

Here's the summary description:

two 6" long 1" or 1.5" angles clamped to the stringer. angles are aligned vertically. Another angle ~ 20" long, oriented horizontally, to support the shaft. (length trimmable to fit between the stringers with some left right adjustment.) The ends of this angle get vise gripped to the vertical angles - using those welder flavored vise grips. The horizontal angle has a shallow V cut in it so the shaft has a horizontal datum. An alternante here is to clamp two small sngle scraps to the horizontal member to stabilize the shaft."

Back