Logo

Crusader 350 HP 454 ci engines X 2

rockmeister

"Hey group I am new to the for

"Hey group I am new to the forum and to boating. I am looking into a 1986 Wellcraft Grandsport.

I am looking for you opinions.

1-this quote seems high.
2- The work proposed seems to me that I could do it myself. What do you think? Rather than cleaning an oil cooler wouldn't it be best to buy new ones? Same for the generator..and in your opinion and experience how hard is it to replace exhaust elbows and risers?

I have a machanical report and this is what it says:

CHECKED COMPRESSION ON BOTH ENGINES AND
VISUALLY INSPECTED EQUIPMENT IN ENGINE ROOM..
....PORT ENGINE IS 135,135, 150, 140, 135, 135, 140, AND 135
...STBD ENGINE IS 130 ,125, 130, 115, 125, 125, 125, AND 130
BOTH ENGINES HAVE GOOD COMPRESSION FOR THE
AGE OF THEM,,
----PORT ENGINE HAS OLD HOSES AND NEWER HEAT
EXCHANGER,,ENGINE STARTED AND RUN WELL,,,
RECOMMENDED CHECKING EXHAUST RISERS,,,
-----STBD ENGINE HAS OLD HOSES , RUSTED AND
LEAKING EXHAUST ELBOWS, RECOMMEND REPLACING
BEFORE IT MAKES A BIGGER PROBLEM.. ENGINE
STARTED FINE AND RUN WELL
----GENERATOR HAS BROKEN EXHAUST ELBOW AND
HOSE, RUSTED EXHAUST POT AND ,, UNIT IS RUSTED
BUT IT DID TURN OVER...
---BATTERY CONNECTIONS ARE LOSE...

Quote to fix:

GENERATOR,, exhaust elbow is broken , exhaust pot is rusted on bottom , metal fuel line is corroted
PORT ENGINE.oil cooler needs cleaning, old hoses on cooling system they are original.
STBD ENGINE.. exhaust elbows are rusted and leaking , dirty oil cooler , dirty heat exchanger.. old hoses on cooling system..
price on generator exhaust elbow is 260.00 you are looking at
---- 500,00 parts and labor to make genrator run and stop exhaust leak
--1000.00 to clean port oil cooler and replace bad hoses...
---1100.00 to replace stbd exhaust elbows parts and labor..
---650.00 to have stbd oil cooler and heat exchanger serviced ,, parts and labor
---800.00 to have stbd hoses replaced parts and labor

Looking to the boards before I get ripped by the broker and/or his buddy mechanic.

Also, Iam planning on, if bought, to deliver it myself by sea about 125 (road) miles to final destination. Thoughts?

Thanks."

"Not nessasarily a rip off, as

"Not nessasarily a rip off, as a mechanic charges what he will do the job for. You can save alot be doing most repairs yourself. Hoses are easy to change and cleaning oil coolers also, just use a descaling liquid and flush. Don't forget about the zincs in the oil coolers. I would wait on Generator repairs until you get to your homeport and then find a local mechanic. If you are purchasing this boat I would offer lower to cover repair cost."

"I just a bit curious how he k

"I just a bit curious how he knows the oil coolers need a cleaning with a visual inspection of the engine room. Can't say I've seen a date code on a hose, except for a couple molded ones.

Coolers can be cleaned, from a running system. If they are original, probably better to buy new.

Whether the hoses are original or not, the need for replacement can be verified visually.

chances are, if it has been running this year, that it will make the trip. May have to run under cruising speed if cooling system has issues. Only concern would be the "rusty" elbows being worse on the inside than can be seen from the outside.

You can save a bundle doing these yourself. I'd suggest getting a factory service manual.

Based on the quote, I'd take off at least $5K, and probably more and see if there's a nibble."

"Steve, Attached is some info

"Steve, Attached is some information on a Kohler exhaust recall that may apply to your unit (if it's a Kohler).

I believe the "free" part of this repair has been discontinued since it's been several years since it was implemented but there is some good information here none the less. This is a very serious issue and I would not use the unit until is is repaired.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQK/is_5_8/ai_107895362/"

"Mark,

I am amazed at what

"Mark,

I am amazed at what the economic conditions have done to the marketplace everywhere. I just saw a TV show called House Hunters. The end result was a waterfront house in Coco Beach, FL that was listed at 2.9M.

The desperate sellers accepted an offer of 1.5M and FULLY furnished with dock and lift....HALF PRICE and FULLY FURNISHED..And a magnificent home.

I'd bet that 5k works... With everything we have done to our boat in 3 yrs...I don't know that I could sell it for what I PAID !"

"It's a great time to be a

"It's a great time to be a buyer... if you have any money. I'm looking a t 1990 Silverton 37C in need of some motor work but otherwise real nice, for 25K.

After last winter I'm leery of spending that kind of money although this year has been much better than last.

We'll see."

"Thanks guys I really apprecia

"Thanks guys I really appreciate the feed back.

The ask of this deal is low, about half of what what I see out there today, I want to be fair at the same time feel good about the deal. I am handy with a wrench, especially older engines. Most of these items to me look like there bolt on.

My unknown is the marine componant and the engine. How difficult is it to replace a exhaust elbow or risers for example or an oil cooler, does it need to be primed? I am pretty confident the service manual will explain.

For those of you who have bought a used boat, what are some of the things you did first to give you the confidence to bring your family or friends on board. I live in the Long Beach, CA area and its 26 miles to Catalina Island. I want to make sure its a sound craft, not to mention the long trip to my home port.

Your feedback is welcomed to this newbe..thanks."

"I bought my boat and ran her

"I bought my boat and ran her 128 miles home with my family. Made sure she didnt overheat during sea trails (owner had to change starboard impellor). Checked oil, brought a gallon with me for the trip, checked coolant, brought some on board too.

Ran the boat at 3000 RPM 17-19 knots (too slow in hindsight). Steam trail and all, but made her home. Also treated the fuel right before we left and filled up with fresh gas.

I brought a tool bag with wrenches, hoses, hose clamps, duct tape, screwdrivers...

BEER, BEER, ands BEER...

some snacks and sandwhiches, and a great assortment of CDS!

Relax and have fun. If the boat checks out, tops out RPM wise, fits the bill for usage, and fits the checkbook and allows for some fun spend money and you dont mind turning wrenches, reading, and drinking cold beer, then Crusaders are for you!"

"With apologies to TED and oth

"With apologies to TED and others ... <font size=""-2""> I couldn't resist, TED . </font>
I bought my 42 footer in Fort Meyers and it made it up here, 1639 miles............ with no problems.........

<font size=""-2""><font color=""aa00aa"">it came on a truck</font></font>
rofl.gif
"

"Don, what type of boat do you

"Don, what type of boat do you have? My boat originally came from FL. The previous owner I bought it from trucked up from Lauderdale that spring (i bought it mid summer)"

"Don, THAT is funny ! There is

"Don, THAT is funny ! There is something VERY similiar around Forked River, NJ. I THINK it is diesel.

Ted, Very well stated

Steve,

Our boat is a 34C Silverton that was repowered about 1 year before we got it. Had it surveyed because WITHOUT it, NO insurance would be available due to its over 10??? year age and ours is over 25. I WANT THE BOAT RICK IS TALKING ABOUT. I REALLY love that increase in the size EVEN THOUGH it is only 3 feet. It looks like SO MUCH more both in and outside.

The survey revealed little to US but we wanted insurance. LOOKING BACK, :
A.) NO leaks and good bilge pumps and switches... watch for cheap hardened hoses that crack.
B.) Solid running engines ( this is VERY Broad)
Things like fuel filters, OIL ANALYSIS, good cooling system, charging properly,Fan Felt Tension, compression, tight exhausts, good connections, NO gate valves on thru hulls, updated hoses for fresh/raw water, oils. Vibration ..(again broad)from props and other drive components
C.) Stuffing boxes and seals. Rudder seals. Check for galvanic corrosion on metal hull parts and fittings. Double clamps on seacocks and hull fittings
D.) carry a few spare things like clamps, tools, tape, parts, fan belts.

You will develop a feel for what goes wrong as you use it more and more. Of course I AM SO PARANOID, we carry over 200 lbs of tools and a "S" load of parts.Last year we added a Revere Offshore 6 man raft. THAT thing is so freakin heavy that IF we needed to deploy it, it had better be outside already. It is currently right next to the sliding door....waiting in its' soft sided bright yellow case.

This is by no means a list and I am sure you will get many other comments about how to get comfortable with it and what to keep checking...This is the direction I took

As for ease of changing engine parts. Our 454's are shoehorned into the space and while they fit fine...there is about 6 inches of cramped hard to access space between the inner hull wall and the sparkplugs because of a poorly placed 55 gallon fresh water tank also over 450lbs full.
Our generator is squeezed between the front of the port engine and transom. Changing the raw water pump took me 2 hours on that side and 15 minutes of the other engine...it is out in the open

My friend Klaus lived in Rancho Palos Verde near Portugese Bend? Water pipes ON TOP of the roadway because of frequent earth shifting????
Good luck and keep posting...it's AMAZING the things you will learn, I did."

"Steve:

Two big differences

"Steve:

Two big differences in Marine Engine design vs autos: The exhaust systems are wet & The electrical systems are "upgraded". The other thing that will be new is "unique access". Some hull designs allow wonderful access to the engine for maintenance; others just plain suck. You'll find some things are best done by a contortionist(sp?) - good part is those aren't routine.

There is nothing like time using the boat to get confidence, as stated previously.

As far as the basics, to get her home, and keep yourself intact, here's my list.

Good battery connections and a full charge. Make sure the alternators are working. Make sure you know how to turn on the required instruments, lights, and bilge pumps and that they all work. Check that the pump hoses are serviceable. make sure the radio works before leaving. A cell phone may help if your are staying near the coast.

a spare set of fuel filters, any needed wrench, where they are and the location of the shutoff valves. Extra oil/ATF and a full reading on the dipsticks - don't forget to check the gear oil, too. Make sure the stuffing box isn't leaking grossly.

A good going over of the control boxes and cables. make sure they are smooth, provide proper travel, and don't bind. Checking the steering system is a good idea, too.

Location and proper condition of the required lifesaving equipment. make sure the flares/signals are current and not expired.

Food, drink, and a change of clothes, the latter in a watertight bag.

A current, updated chart of the path to be traveled. Current coast pilot is worth printing if the trip is a new one.

If something doesn't sound right, slow down/stop and check it out. You can always go slow and arrive a bit late...much better than not arriving."

"This was great! Awsome forum

"This was great! Awsome forum.

Well, I put an offer in and before I got an answer the owner donated the boat to a charity. his loss? my loss?

I tracked the vessel down to the charity and someone had already made an offer and it was accepted. The Broker helping the charity told me the boat was neglected. Taking water in the drive seals and needed to be repacked? he used the port engine to move her to another marina just a hop away..engine room had oil dried up probably from a spill. White smoke trailed. He also said the raw water pump was off one engine and thought they both needed to be replaced.

My search continues...thanks guys these stories are great for all newbes and seasoned readers."

"Steve,

How much are you lo

"Steve,

How much are you looking to spend. There are some unbelievable deals in my area right now. If I had the money I'd own about a dozen boats right now."

"Steve,

I know we don'

"Steve,

I know we don't know each other but, I WISH I was in your position with the knowledge I have gained in the last 4 years...From my experience..you SHOULD, call Rick...REALLY!"

Back