Logo

Crankcase flange sealant - is Loctite 5922 a suitable alternative to gel seal?

J25ELCI

Just putting the two halves of the crankcase back together and see that the service manual calls for Gel Seal.

i don't have any of that but do have a tube of Loctite 5922 flange sealant.

Is 5922 suitable for the job or should I put it on hold until I can get some gel seal?

Thanks all.

some more info: from the spec sheet, 5922 is good for temperatures up to 200c or 400f and withstand pressure up to nearly 5000psi.
spec sheet is here: http://www.pteng.de/heinkel/download/dateien/5922.pdf

Last edited:
This is a critical metal to metal joint !---------------If you use the wrong stuff it may not squeeze out properly.----That could result in improper bearing clamp-up.-------Your choice.

Yes I do get the importance of it and am not trying to cut corners, but I have something that is designed to do the job I need but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on why it would or would not be suitable.

The stuff appears very similar to other flange sealants and when I have used it before I have always found it squeezed out very well. I just can't find any references to anyone using it in place of gel seal.

I have no idea what the specs of the Locktite product are, but it is important that there be no fillers or thickeners that would prevent proper metal-to-metal clearance (or shall we say lack of clearance).

Back