Logo

Cracked MS3 transmission heat exchanger

mpt

Contributing Member
I thought I had prepared enough winterizing for the upcoming winter storm last month, but it wasn't enough since temperatures went way down to single digits! I found out that my heat exchanger on the starboard engine MS3 transmission is cracked! The motors are 1981 Volvo Penta BB140A's. Port engine transmission is fine, and the starboard engine appears to be ok but fresh water is pouring out the damaged transmission heat exchanger. I normally don't have to drain the heat exchangers on my twins but last month was the coldest snap of winter hell we ever had at the Camas/Washougal Marina near the east end of the Columbia River Gorge!! My Question is: is the heat exchanger jacket a separate part that can be replaced or do I to replace the whole transmission?

I thought I had prepared enough winterizing for the upcoming winter storm last month, but it wasn't enough since temperatures went way down to single digits! I found out that my heat exchanger on the starboard engine MS3 transmission is cracked! The motors are 1981 Volvo Penta BB140A's. Port engine transmission is fine, and the starboard engine appears to be ok but fresh water is pouring out the damaged transmission heat exchanger. I normally don't have to drain the heat exchangers on my twins but last month was the coldest snap of winter hell we ever had at the Camas/Washougal Marina near the east end of the Columbia River Gorge!! My Question is: is the heat exchanger jacket a separate part that can be replaced or do I to replace the whole transmission?
A Volvo Penta mechanic said that I can just bypass the transmission heat exchanger as long as the transmission isn't cracked from the deep freeze. He said that those heat exchangers for my application don't really do anything important since the transmissions never get that hot enough during runs in colder river temperatures. The heat exchangers are more for an industrial or heavy-duty application unlike just simply cruising up and down the Columbia River that I do.

Back