Logo

Coupler zerk

Mark S.

Contributing Member
At the beginning of last season I had my 2002 5.0 MPI alpha one gen 2 pulled, new rear engine mounts and coupler installed. A shop did this work. I did the leg removal/install and alignment. Greased the coupler through the zerk after install. Since the coupler was new I greased it again mid-season after it had worked in. During winter maintenance (today) I attempted to grease it again. I noticed grease slung everywhere and after turning the engine over a time or two to align the zerk, guess what? No zerk. I found the zerk on top of the Y pipe. I estimate 30 hours running time in this condition. How much damage do you think occurred?

No damage.
If you can re-install do so and add some grease.

This is not a area that needs grease constantly!!

The shaft that goes into the coupler has an O-ring on it and keeps the grease in.

This is a ONCE a year/season maintenance. It will not take much, maybe 1 pump.

The grease theoretically cannot go anywhere.

The purpose is to keep the male and female splines lubricated only. This lubrication, if none leaks out can last hundreds of hours before needing to add.

On older models before the greasable coupler it was done when removing the outdrive annually for service and the drive shaft was greased by hand manually only!!

Thanks Kghost! I was able to get the zerk back in and now I fear I've over greased it. Should I remove it to take pressure off?

usually grabbing a handful of grease when installing a drive is all thats needed. drives should be pulled yearly for alignment ,inspection , and service . Thats when you grease by hand

Thanks Kghost! I was able to get the zerk back in and now I fear I've over greased it. Should I remove it to take pressure off?

Naw,..... The excess will squeeze out, 'n get flung off the shaft, all by itself,.....

WHat you should do in the spring, remove the outdrive to check things out and any grease will finds it way out.

The only way for the grease to escape is past the oring on the shaft or like it did pop out the Zerk fitting.
If it is a good seal it may or may not leak past. It may when running but not guaranteed.

Be careful about greasing things. Each fitting requires different amounts of grease. Some ~ 1 shot some a couple of shots and some less that a full shot.

It is NOT grease it until you see it leaking out!!! The Alpha Gen I had several fittings (ujoints and gimbal bearing) that required as many as ten or more shots to grease it adequately. Not so on the Gen II, The gimbal bearing is sealed and so are the Ujoints. No service required.....

The Gen I did NOT have the third oring on the drive shaft so any grease would work its way out of the coupler over time and as suggested, Gen I's needed the grease applied by hand.........Messy but effective!

If you are not sure, ask first grease second.

Back