Logo

coupler issues HELP!

Well I'll give it a try and let you no what happens, like I said even if this was a bran new nut there's no way it would get on these threds because of their angel, this sounds like the only hope I have to getting this damm nut back on, still might be dealing with a damaged nut but won't be able to tell until it's atleast lined up correctly, thanks agin
Marc

Good advice guy.
You may want to get a back up bilge pump just in case something does go bad and present pump/pumps can't handle the amount of water. I keep a 110 volt pump handy just for the bad days.

Well from what I understand as long as I just twist the hose and not pull it should be ok? I'm told that hose should go over about 4 inches of part of the fiberglass where it's double clamped, i know it still sounds risky to me as well, gunna check with my local yard and see if he could get me in and out for the holiday, after all, this is where they were installed not to long ago so hopefully he'll have a heart, we'll see, would hate to sink in my own backyard, could just hear the neighbors now.. lol thanks agin for all replys

Marc

Well, I can't catch a break, bolth hose clamps are facing down on the tube,meaning I can't get to the damm screw heds,maybe with a 1/4 inch swivel with a socket. The mecanic that did the job said there's no way he would put clamps on like that and the tube must have spun around. Doesn't seem likely cuz It's tight and I can't spin it back to get at the screws.So anyway here said to bring it down to him and he'll take care of it, hopefully not too much$ After all he did the job in the first place. Thanks again u guys for all the advice, and who knows what would have happened if I did get the clamps off, might have sunk her rite in my backyard... lol

Sure will, he actually said to bring it down tomorrow (Sunday) he seemed pretty consirned about taking on as much water as I am, wich was nice to hear rather then having to wait till after the holiday :) So there's still hope in making the Jones Beach Airshow,are any you guys on long island? It's a pretty great show, would love to flip some burgers with some new friends. I'll be sure to write what happens and how hard or easy a fix this was.Cant wait to see how he handles this, he said im gunna have to help to keep costs down wich is fine by me, hopefully I'll learn something.

Marc

I've got a Silverton with V-drives and I can attest to the difficulty of packing and re-starting those gland nuts. There is really only room down under the v-drive for one arm at a time so you can't push the gland nut into the stern tube threads with one hand and turn the nut on with the other. If they are the original Silverton stern tubes, the gland nuts on both sides turn clock-wise to tighten.

Trying to move the stern tube a little is good idea but as WoodieMan points out, it's very possible that the first few threads on the gland nut a buggered up, meaning that it will never go on. Trying to realign the stern tube slightly is certainly worth a try since the next step is hauling the boat and pulling everything apart so that the gland nut can be replaced.

If Mark is working with original Silverton stuff, the gland nut isn't very deep. I had to insert one turn of packing and then tighten the gland nut as tightly as I could to force that packing all the way into the nut, then back it out, add a second ring and retighten to seat the second ring, etc. I only mention this because even if he gets the threads to catch, he may well have to do that several times to get in enough packing.

Bill

The "Still no luck....." thread was one he also started later. This thread is the one we've been working on for this issue unless I've missed something.

Sory can't seem to post any pics, still no luck comming out of the water yet, the shafts and couplers wer replaced 4 years ago so atleast its not 30 year old stuff, the mecanic who installed them seems to think the tube commining into the boat must have spun around cuz the hose clamps are facing down and I can't get to the screws to try and spin the threads to get the right angle, it seems like it just needs to be pryed up allitle, even if this was a new nut, it still wouldn't get on with out cross threding it, so I'm gunna have to leave this one to the mecanic who installed them, he must have not tightened them down enough to begin with. I also spoke to who I bought the boat from last year and he said he had to go over all the coulper bolts due to a vibration he noticed shortly after the job was done, however.he didn't notice any major water comming in so i would guess the nut was on, just not tight! Seems like someone was slacking a bit and in a hurry to get the hell out of this tight spot of a job, hopfully he won't hit my wallet to hard to make it right,
Ps.. how would I post a pic on this site, thank guys for all the replys, was very helpful but I think I've tried all I can at this point and have to leave this one to a pro.

Marc

Marc, did you happen to notice a build up of wax in the bildge below the packing nut?

Above the reply entry section are a few icons; one of them is square with a dot in each corner. Put your curser over it and you'll see it's the "insert image" icon. Click on that and it will promp you to brose your computer files for the picture you want. Once you select the pic in your hard drive, you need to click I believe the "upload" tab if I remember right. Try it; do a test run here.

Didn't seem to notice a wax build up, upon first inspection I noticed the nut way off the threds, as close to the coupler as possible, also noticed wen I got the stuffing out it really wasent squished as I thought it would be, seemed pretty intact, really thought once I got all the stuffing out I would have been able to get the nut back on, as far as the wax build up what would that have told me, and do you know if I can post a pic from my smart phone, or must it be from a computer, thanks

Arrrrr balls, now the tranny is slippin, needs 1500rpms to get into gear, good fluid and linkage is full throw, wen it rains it pours, better renew my seatow, anyone know wut this could run me, im guessing 2k give or take with labor,, B. O. A. T, break out another thousand.. lol

yep yep yep,the rear motor mounts are shot putting pressure on gland setup,strippin the nut

enuff fluid?

Time to break out the ol tomato with the boat

sounds like

Mannifolds risers

motor mounts

stern tubes/shaft logs

dripless seals or packing glands

the trannys both of them.......I mean all four...... should be looked at

thru hulls checked out

bottom paint/blisters

just a few things to look at when the boats out

Break