Logo

could use some well meant advice

carogator

Regular Contributor
Just got a 2000 evinrude 15 hp 4 stroke. Supposed to run and have new water pump kit. Seller wanted to start for me, but I declined because he had no muffs or tank.<br>I would like a checklist to do before starting, better to know if something is off before rather than after. Any good advice would be appreciated. 

In the future when buying a motor if you can't start it at least test spark and compression. Since you already bought it make sure crankcase oil and fuel are good before starting. Look for tell tale water running to make sure impeller is working and if you are not sure of the motor's history change impeller before taking the boat out. Another good idea is testing the overheat buzzer.

Thanks for reply, I didn't want to start on dry pump, so passed on that . Just fired it off, and sure enough, no water flow. Runs great two minutes, then seems to cut back to one cylinder.I believe I have a fuel line problem from tank to engine. That may be the problem on the other engine. Gonna do a little more research before ordering w/pump kit. Any more thoughts will be valued also.

You said the seller wanted to start it dry but you said no. Maybe he started it for a prospective buyer before you and melted the supposed new water pump. Pull the lower unit to make sure water tube is lined up correctly before ordering a new kit.

On three different occasions (three different motors) I have seen no water coming from the tell tale until garden hose water pressure/flow was increased so if you think that may have been in play consider firing it up again with plenty of water flow. If you do take the lower unit off take a close look at the impeller's condition...hard or melted?

Thanks for the info, I plan to work on the running issue before going any farther. Waiting for manual to check ignition components. Thanks again

Back