Logo

Could I use RTV to make a gasket on my induction manifold cover

Dopey39

I pulled the cover off my induction manifold or as I’d like to call up my water manifold and noticed that there appeared to be some sort of repair that occurred in the past. It looks like there was a repair around this but hole and as you can see there is a Nick on both sides of that hole. I believe I’m getting water into my cylinders from the exhaust port which sits next to that but hole. I wanted to use an RTV gasket as I think that may seal better than putting one of the fibrous gaskets on. The fiber gasket that was just on it was new although it didn’t seem to seal very well.
D8CB9305-05AE-40F5-B13B-75DD684038C3.jpeg

Attachments

• 2C564D90-529A-4AFE-A97D-2E47B99E2C0A.jpeg
    2C564D90-529A-4AFE-A97D-2E47B99E2C0A.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 20
I can understanding it not sealing well if the engine had been used a good bit, corrosion was present and no adhesive was used. I'd clean the surfaces, get the correct gasket and coat both sides with aviation adhesive...I think it's Permatex 3. My mom and pop auto parts store carries it...liquid with a brush in the top.

Never use conventional silicone around gasoline. (It dissolves it into a gooey mess.) Oil and grease is fine, but not around gasoline.

There are supposedly some newer type silicones that are gasoline resistant.

Jeff

Agreed on both answers. Could try a high performance anaerobic gasket maker or flange sealant too. I use that on steel fuel tank gaskets all the time with 100 percent success.

I have ordered some Pirma Tex 5181 three anaerobic gasket maker. Would you suggest that I put that down on the metal and then use my fibrous gasket or just use the Pirma Tex by itself.

thanks

No.....use both....keep a lite film. Just did a thermostat/water jacket cover on this 25 Evinrude today, didn't have a gasket, yet promised the customer......used a similar product with the old and torn gasket, and repair was great.

Back