Logo

Cost of having a starter rebuilt for a 1977 470

Take it to an auto electric sh

Take it to an auto electric shop that specializes in auto electronics and rebuilds starters and alternators.

"Check with local boat mechani

"Check with local boat mechanics on where they get them rebuilt. I had mine go out last season. New one was almost 200, however a local boat mech pulled mine off, took it to a shop in Maysville Kentucky for a rebuild and put it back on for me for just over 100 bucks! Cheapest labor and repair for me ever! This was also on a 4.3. I think he told me they rebuild them for about 40 bucks, the rest was labor, but it was worth it not to have to stand on my head for a couple hours! Good Luck!

Jack"

"There is a difference between

"There is a difference between REBUILT AND REMANUFACTURED parts. A rebuilt item is repaired by replacing a defective part and adding some fresh bearing grease.

A remanufactured part is completely disassembled and inspected. Any part not within "new" tolerances is replaced or reconditioned to like new condition. Generally new bearings, brushes and electronic parts like diodes and regulators are replaced. The cost for a reman. part is higher due to the amount of work put in it.

In your case, I would want my 30 year old starter to be remanufactured to like new condition. The armature will need to be turned on a lathe and the commutator undercut for new brushes. It will also need to be tested on a growler transformer to find any shorted windings. The coils will be tested and resealed with a dip in varnish and baked. The sleeve bearing bushings will be replaced. It will be reassembled with a new solenoid and tested to meet new tolerances."

"Or if you go to autozone you

"Or if you go to autozone you can buy a high torque starter for a chevy 350 that bolts right in for $100.00,90.00 if you give them a core"

Donald:

When did they sta

Donald:

When did they start selling marine grade starters? Auto starters in a marine application is a BIG "NO NO" with the Coast Guard! Starters have to be sealed to prevent arcing from igniting fuel vapors in the bilge.

"Donald, what you are advocati

"Donald, what you are advocating is not only illegal but most of all is dangerous. If he gets it expertly rebuilt, it will last well beyond anything be would be concerned with at a reasonable cost and with safety"

"Well, I did not know this and

"Well, I did not know this and now I am going to go talk to the guy at the marina that sent me in that direction.
Sorry Dave for the wrong info,will make sure I have my info right before posting next time.I just went on what some one I thought was knowledgable told me and never even thought about fumes.Guess I will be inveting in a new starter this week seeing I turned the old one in as a core."

Back