Logo

Correct props

concritter

Regular Contributor
"I have always had express cru

"I have always had express cruisers before going to the bigger 1991 33 carver aft cabin motor yacht with 454.Last year the boat ran great with planeing easy and cruising nicely with engines doing fine.I bought the boat with 22x23 props and wondering if 22x25 props will be even better for speed and lower rpms.I never did check WOT so that is the reason I am here.Will this switch be better for the engines and boat?..thanks to all that replies and...MERRY CHRISTMAS, by the way."

"Ayuh,......

Without Knowin

"Ayuh,......

Without Knowing Exactly how the motor was handling the 22X23s,......
I'd have to say that going Up 2" in pitch will Probably induce Lugging in the motor,+ Probably cause it to Self Destruct from Detonation......."

I agree with you that can happ

I agree with you that can happen.Carver can not tell me what props came with the boat and not knowing WOT I can only trial and hopefully not error.With the price of fuel I want to get the most available without damage.I totally believe that protecting the driveline at all costs is #1 and fuel costs go where they go.Can always get the boat pulled out again this spring if the 25's do not workout.

"[b]"I never did check WOT

""I never did check WOT so that is the reason I am here."

Ayuh,......

Without that Very Important #,.....
Everybody will Just be Guessing.........

If the motor Can't pull it's Rated rpms at WOT,.....
You might Think you're getting Better fuel mileage,...
When in fact, You'll be just Burning up your Motors instead of Gas......

I'd Leave the 23s on it,+ Get that #........
If it's Too High,..... Then pull the boat,+ install a set of 25s......
Otherwise,..... Leave the 23s on it......"

"I am going to take your advic

"I am going to take your advice Bondo and let well enough alone.If I should happen to find myself late in the season with the chance to switch them I will do that, but as you said...only if I can currently reach 4500 or more on WOT.Bondo I thank you for the help and as a new member I hope to get to know more of you.I boat out of Charlestown Md. and ya never know when I might be up your way.Merry Christmas."

"Ayuh,.......

You got it To

"Ayuh,.......

You got it Todd,......

If you're ever up here in the Northeastern corner of Lake Ontario,.......
Give a Yell,....
I've got a couple of places On the water, With Dockage,......
And,....
I'll take Anybody out Fishing in my own boat,....
Just to be Fishin'..........."

"Hi Bondo, I feel the same wa

"Hi Bondo, I feel the same way....Always lookin for a fishing buddy, Should you find yourself here in southern NJ....give a yell, too"

"Todd:

I deliberately over-

"Todd:

I deliberately over-prpped my boat, since it is far from under-powered. WOT rpms are just under 4,000, and it cruises easily at 2,500 rpms (about 20 mph). The carb butterflies are barely open at that speed--you couldn't slip a pencil in the opening--so I know the motors are not straining.

Not sure if your boat is similar, though you said it planes easily. You might try my little trick and see: Mark the throttle positions at cruising speed, then pull the flame arrestors off to see where the throttles had been. If your carbs are also barely open at that speed, then you can add some pitch as well.

On mine, the result was better mpg, plus less noise and engine wear.

Jeff

PS: To all things there are exceptions, including the "your motor should always make full WOT rpms" dogma. Only on under-powered boats is this definitely true."

Back