Logo

Correct Prop for a Mercruiser 4.3

t4life23

I have a Larson 17ft with a sterndrive Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one. Right now it has a 14 inch with 19 pitch prop. The prop is a bit damaged already so i want to get a new one but a mecanic told me, for my altitude 4000ft he would recommend a 17 or a 15 pitch prop. I know very little about boats so i'm not sure what exactly to look for. Can anyone here help me out a bit?

Thanks in advance!

Prop selection is more art than science, so the bottom line is that you go with what gives you best performance for your boat. If you were happy with the old prop, get the same thing.

I have a Larson 17ft with a sterndrive Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one. Right now it has a 14 inch with 19 pitch prop. The prop is a bit damaged already so i want to get a new one but a mecanic told me, for my altitude 4000ft he would recommend a 17 or a 15 pitch prop. I know very little about boats so i'm not sure what exactly to look for. Can anyone here help me out a bit?

Have you operated this boat with the existing prop, and at this 4000 foot altitude?
If so, were you able to reach the OEM specified WOT RPM?
If not, then I would suggest taking the advice of the mechanic!

Back