Logo

Cored hull

millrock

I have a 1988 Trojan 11meter e

I have a 1988 Trojan 11meter express. I think it is a cored hull does any one know for sure and if so is it solid glass around the thru hull for the raw water intake for the engines. Thanks Phil

"I have a 96 trojan express,mi

"I have a 96 trojan express,mine is soild glass.
im not sure on your model but i would think it would be the same."

"Phil:

A friend of mine has

"Phil:

A friend of mine has the exact same boat. It's a great running "delta conic" hull designed by Harry Schoell of Ft. Lauderdale.

From H. Schoell engineering: "The Delta Conic Hull is a design that incorporates two hulls in one. The forward hull has a developed conical entry with a constant delta planning. It also incorporates wide lipped chines. The aft hull develops a constant planning surface that displaces a delta pattern when on a plane. The forward hull creates a bow wave under the hull, along the aft hull allowing it to ride the wave. As speed increases, the wave moves aft, thereby lifting the stern. The hull then lifts to planning altitude without climbing over the traditional hump."

I read somewhere that the hull was cored. Perhaps it was Parker and McKnew's Powerboat Guide, which indicates the 11 meter had a fully cored hull. So do several posts on Yachtworld. However, the following article, which appeared in 1987, contradicts this.
http://www.boatus.com/boatgroups/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1427&PN=1

I'd be careful regarding assumptions about boats built in different eras. Pascoe has a review of the Trojan 11 meter convertible on his website. Poke around some more and you will likely come up with a definitive answer."

"Thank you for your replies, a

"Thank you for your replies, and thanks major-Tom for the boatus site. My take on it was that below the water line was solid glass and that from the chimes up as well as the deck was cored which is fine by me. I purchased this boat about 2 months ago and have a slight leak at the raw water intake my marina is very busy and can not pull for another 2 weeks to fix. I had visions of my cored hull soaking up all this water. Thanks again for the imput."

"Phil,

I believe you are co

"Phil,

I believe you are correct. Most cored hulls only contain coring above the water line. Also, most boats manufacturers, not all, but most, would normally not core in areas where a penetration would be expected like hatches, fill decks, railing mounts, etc. In those areas they would mold solid glass in anticipation for screwing and securing."

"I would tend to agree also de

"I would tend to agree also depending on the year of manufacture. My boat is now 29 and has solid glass in the hull. My decking is cored and is a PITA !!!

But now that the repairs are made it is quite solid and in areas were screws or other access to water are potentially harmful, I placed these homemade "fiberglass hockey pucks" imbedded in the balsa repair to have a leakproof and secure screw point. That said....

HOWEVER: Many of the transducer instructions I have used in the last several years have a mounting technique for going thru a hull in a cored hull configuration so , UNTIL you have a definate determination Phil, be a little suspect as you are.

My 2..."

"Phil, You might want to chec

"Phil, You might want to check with a good marine surveyor. When we were looking at 42' Carvers/Chris Crafts/Trojans, built in the late 80's, there was a big weight difference between them, with Trojans being about 10,000 lbs. lighter, with about the same equiment aboard.
Good luck! Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!"

"FWIW, most makers learned the

"FWIW, most makers learned the hard way about where to core and where to go solid. What is common knowledge today wasn't in the early-to-mid 80's when core became 'affordable'. I can tell you from firsthand inspection many "early" hulls got core where they shouldn't have.

The surveyor is an excellent idea - a drill and a couple minutes will also be revealing."

Back