Logo

Cooling system problemsl

teg1928

Just took my rebuilt AQ 130 out and overheated. I have the correct head gasket in and checked the copper tubes blew water back through the intake hose and it dumps into the water tub just fine also hooked garden hose to the outlet side of the water pump and it cools the engine down just fine. Just seems like the water pump isn't pulling. Impellor seems fine. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated

By the way whats the best way to keep the copper cooling tubes in place on the exhaust manifold/heat exchanger? They are very tempremental and keep springing leaks now.

TG

Any air leaks on the suction side will prevent the water pump from drawing correctly. Common leakers are the filter housing and the water neck fitting on the outdrive. The water neck fitting is just below the driveshaft bellows and has a hose attached that goes into the transom shield. This fitting tends to corrode over time and you may not even see the corrosion until you remove the hose. That's the place to start.

The copper tubes can be a real pain in the rear. It's a process of trial and error. You will need to take them off enough to bend the individual tubes to get them to seat into the sockets. After they're seated as good as you can get them, I use Permatex red, high temp RTV, to get a good seal around each tube. Use a small screwdriver or something to get the RTV into the hole and to smooth it out.

Any air leaks on the suction side will prevent the water pump from drawing correctly. Common leakers are the filter housing and the water neck fitting on the outdrive. The water neck fitting is just below the driveshaft bellows and has a hose attached that goes into the transom shield. This fitting tends to corrode over time and you may not even see the corrosion until you remove the hose. That's the place to start.
Ditto Joe on that!
The water neck fitting rises up and out of the water once the boat begins to plane out.
If the fitting breaches suction, the results are over-heating.

BTW, these should be considered a "wear item" that requires routine replacement.
The special beaded gasket is to face down onto the top of the pivot tube.
It also require some lubrication, since it pivots against the tube.

If the upper pivot tube bushing is worn or loose, the beaded gasket will live a short life span.
The proper fix is to replace the plastic bushing along with a new water neck and gasket.

I just was at the Volvo dealer to get my new water pump impeller and showed him the description of the water neck fitting. The parts guy got very confused in looking it up on his computer. Any chance you can send me any part numbers?

water neck fitting:
plastic bushing:
special beaded gasket:

These would help. I have the 270 outdrive if that makes a difference.
Tg

Thanks Rick. I'll get the parts ordered. Hopefiully that will solve it. Shldn't take long as i have already had the upper drive housing off once.

TG

Back