Logo

Cooling system plugged.

9856skippy

Hi
This is my first post, because i recently bought my first 2 cycle boat motor. I actually have 2 problems that i would like your input for. however, i will create another thread labeled "carburetor issue" to keep things separate.
I have 1990 Mariner 40 hp ELPTO. Serial number OC244985.
I noticed it was not peeing when i put it in the water for the first time this year. the water exit through the cover was clogged with what looked to be cotton seed. After clearing, the problem still persisted. i then removed the lower unit and inspected the impeller. looks almost new. I then attached a garden hose to the rubber exit hose coming out of the engine. a little gunk came out the stand pipe where it meets the water pump down below. then nothing, it just backed up and expanded the rubber hose where i was filling from. So i then inserted the hose into the lower stand pipe and a lot of water went in and suddenly it released and came back down the inside of the housing as if there is an over flow outlet up above. i alternated this process 5-6 times, all with the same result.
So my actual questions are these.
1. are there any other techniques to clearing a clog, short of opening the engine?
2. is there actually a relief in the system to let the water come back out if too much is pumped up from the impeller? or did i break something with the water pressure?

Thanks for you replies.

Back