Logo

Cooling Problem

mayorhuff

"1989, 200hp Mercury outboard

"1989, 200hp Mercury outboard that does't discharge water from the tale-tale, it starts blowing steam out the tale-tale at idle.I am running the engine on muffs. I replaced the pump impeller, thermostats and flushed engine. The pump housing looked normal with no scarring or pitting. I removed thermostats and backflushed and had water draining near the prop. When I replaced the impleller, I noticed that the water tube is a copper pipe that is about 1-2 ft long, is that normal?Any suggestions would be great."

put it on muffs and take out t

put it on muffs and take out t-stat to see if water is coming up to that point
u could have rolled the impller housing o ring on the coper tube

"Lance,

Either the cooling

"Lance,

Either the cooling system is clogged, or there is still a problem with the pump.

Drop the lower unit and attatch a water hose directly to the copper tube. Turn on the tap and see if water circulates normally. You can even run the engine like this.

Tony"

pull both thermostat housings

pull both thermostat housings and start engine water should flow out both heads the tell tale is thermostatic controlled i do belive on a merc v6 engines after it runns for a bit like get warm will it discharge hot water? head temp should be 143 deg. was it doing this before you replaced the water pump?has it always discharged imediatly? yes the copper pipe is normal

Back