Logo

Cooling issues AQ140A280 outdrive

matthole

"Been restoring a '79 Tiar

"Been restoring a '79 Tiara 2500 with twin 140's which I've been working on one at a time. Today, I got the port side engine running and aside from a few minor adjustments, it runs pretty well. However, I'm unfamiliar with engines such as this one which utilize a closed cooling system. I understand that the engine retains it's own coolant, but then sea water is passed through an exchanger to cool that coolant. Does this mean that I still have an impeller in my lower unit? When I ran the engine, the boat was on the trailer with "earmuffs" on the lower unit. I didn't see any water coming out of the exhaust after several minutes so I shut it down and then tried to submerge the entire lower have of the outdrive in a trash can filled with water. Same thing, no water out the exhaust. I didn't let the engine temp get over 150F. But I know from previous experience that the exhaust can get much hotter than that if it's not cooled properly. Am I doing this right? Am I missing something? Do I need a new impeller in the outdrive? What else could it be? Please help, Thank You."

"Yes, I have the origional own

"Yes, I have the origional owners manual and I see the raw water pump as described. So does this mean that I should or should not see water coming out of my exhaust? Should the raw water pump be able to draw water all the way up from the outdrive? Even while idling not underway?"

"The raw water pump should be

"The raw water pump should be able to draw water even in the driveway. You may want to remove the pump cover, then pull the impeller out and check its condition. If some of the vanes are broken/missing, or if they are deformed (they should be straight, not curved), then replace it."

Back