Logo

convert to automotive ignition 1971 100 hp

Drew597

hi has anyone converted evinrude 1971 100hp motor to automotive ignition if so did it work and can you post any information on how you did it
Cheers Drew​

Re: convert to automotive ignition

I've heard of it being done on 3 cyls but not on v-4s. The only thing I can tell you is they used a coil with an internal resistor and put a condenser in the primary wiring and used the same points. Never tried it myself but it would be fun trying. You may have to use some type of high output coil to get through the distributor.

good news put a coil on with a resistor and a condenser on you have a great spark (blue in color ) spent $16.00 second hand stuff to try it beats paying out money on amp pack and gets better spark am you one happy person

What size of open air gap will the spark jump at the plug? Let us know what happens when you take it out on the water at WOT.

It was a good inch and a half can't take it out for another 10 days bugger will let you know

Holding the plug wire close to the powerhead..... how big a gap will the spark jump?

Took it out on the weekend ran great for a hour then to miss and loss power think the rectifier was breaking down was a old one any ideas would be great
Drew

The rectifier convert AC voltage from the stator to DC voltage in order to charge the battery. It has nothing to do with ignition. What spark plugs are you using and at what gap?

Joe's got a good point. My question is, what kind of an open air gap will the spark jump now at the plug wire??

sorry i ment the resistor from the coil about 1/2 inch jump it is breacking down somewhere if we bypass the resister it starts better and runs well but i dont want the coil to overheat so i think i need a resistor to help the coil from overheating but still give a good consent spark for the day?? I think ???

I think I advised you to get a coil with an internal resister. Anyway the resister is in a battery ignition system to keep the points from burning. It cuts the voltage going through the points down to six volts. You can also use a coil with an external resister but don't use both together.

I put a condenser with the points to stop them burning so do i need a resistor at all for the coil or am i just getting confused ???
Drew

If the coil says on it "use with external resistor" you need one. Sometimes the coils will say "internal resistor" Then don't add the external one.

Back