Logo

Convert carbed BF40 to BF50?

pseudonym

I know it's been asked before but to date I am yet to see a definitive answer on this subject.
I have a 2006 BF40 which runs like a dream but with a second person in the boat (which is most often the case) could use a little more power to help get out of the hole and on the plane.
Now I've agonised over the parts diagrams and manuals for both motors before posting this and i can't see any difference in part numbers besides the jets/nozzles used in the carburettors. Referring to the service manual the only real changes are the float heights (14mm for BF40 and 13mm for the BF50) and the position of the pilot screw ( BF40 - 3 & 3/8 turns out and BF50 - 2 & 1/8 turns out) to account for the different air/fuel ratio.

So, am I right in saying that if you take the larger jets, put them in a BF40, adjust your pilot screw accordingly and then synch your carbs you now have a BF50??

I await the wrath of someone who knows better :D

I have not done this but believe you only need to replace the carburetors, the venturies are slightly different so re jetting would only make your 40 run very rich

Back