Logo

Constant 12v on on of the 2 coil wires

element303

Hello everyone. I have an issue I can't solve on my own it seems and look for some tips. I have a F50 FI that I rebuilt and ran like new until someone sabotaged my boat last weekend and sank it. When I got to the beach my boat was floating upside down and engine was underwater until I flipped it over with the help of some people. Dragged it to the beach and luckily I had a low tide coming in so I was able to properly clean it all. The battery shorted under water and with it the positive terminal on the starter just looked like it melted off, the same with the starter relay on one side but it still works. Also the positive wire fromt he 9 pin terminal burned through in the connector si I made a new wire directly around the connector for now. I cleaned the whole thing for 3 days, turned it by hand after cleaning with fresh water and inside the comb. champer with WD40 and no issues other than corrosion externally. Took off the wheel to clean the coils under it and didn't look too bad at all. Actually everything seemed to be more full of oil rather than salt.

Long story short, after a few days I tried to start it up and it starter right up but only one of the two coils worked (4cyl). Swapped the coils to rule out its the coil and then realized the issue is with the wire that gives the pulse to fire. The lower coil has a black/red one giving the pulse and I am getting constant 12v on it (both wires going to the coil) rather then 12v on one and nothing on the other until the pulse comes.

Today I had a look at the wiring and removed ECM or ECU and then discovered that the same wire was cut 15mm after the plug that goes into the ECU. I got excited and reconnected it, but unfortunately Im still getting constant 12v. I find it hard to believe the ecu is fried as absolutely everything else works and it is sealed. This engine also only seem to have one pickup coil or pulser. Im not sure what else to do. Any tips would be greately appreciated. I live on a small island in Asia and there isn't anyone here who would do a cleaner job than myself. I normally do it all myself to make sure it works. Thank you!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 12.05.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 12.05.38.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 2
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 11.27.50.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 11.27.50.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 2
The coils have battery voltage applied to them when the key is turned on. On the red/yellow wire.

The other two wires do not give pulses. What they do is ground and unground the coil when the ECU tells them to do so.

If you measure a coil that has voltage to one side of the coil there will be voltage on the other side of the coil. Now on the black/red wire and the black/white wire. Assumption being the coil is not grounded.

There will be no current flow through the coil because there is no ground wire connected to the coil.

If and when the coil is grounded by the ECU, current can flow. When the ECU stops the ground the coil then does its magic and causes the spark plug to fire.

Does this help?

Thank you. When I see pulse I mean the signal from the ecu.

The one working has 12v and no voltage when not running. The bad one has 12v on both sides, so I'm trying to figure out if the ecu or ecm could be partially damaged or what causes this. I had big hopes that I found the issue with the same wire broken near the ecm plug, but unfortunately it didn't change anything after fixing that. I don't understand why it broke in the first place.

What could I do next to investigate or test? If there was an issue coming from the pulser, surely I had no spark in any of the 2 coils right?

The coils have battery voltage applied to them when the key is turned on. On the red/yellow wire.

The other two wires do not give pulses. What they do is ground and unground the coil when the ECU tells them to do so.

If you measure a coil that has voltage to one side of the coil there will be voltage on the other side of the coil. Now on the black/red wire and the black/white wire. Assumption being the coil is not grounded.

There will be no current flow through the coil because there is no ground wire connected to the coil.

If and when the coil is grounded by the ECU, current can flow. When the ECU stops the ground the coil then does its magic and causes the spark plug to fire.

Does this help?

Back