Logo

console gauge issue and trim/tilt reservoir question

hydrasport cc

Hello everyone new to the forum and Yamaha ownership. This past weekend purchased a used center console with a 1988 Yamaha outboard model # 90ETLG serial # 465761. Motor runs great no issues there, however the two main gauges in the console have issues. Gauge on the left is a LCD speedometer/fuel/hour meter and the gauge on the right is tach/trim/volts ? . The speedo does not work at all meaning with the key on I hit the mode button and nothing happens. The tach works as does the trim but the tach LCD is VERY difficult to read I believe it is sun faded or just wearing out. Is there any way to repair these items or do they have to be replaced ?
The trim/tilt question. I had the seller demonstrate that the trim/tilt worked and it worked fine using the trim button on the outboard and the one on the throttle. Trailered her home tried it once in the driveway and it worked. Came out to the garage the next day and a small amount of fluid on the garage floor. Looked like it leaked out of trim area. Now the trim/tilt doesn't work, meaning I can hear the motor/pump turning but no movement. It may be low on fluid. When looking at the stern of the boat from the motor side it looks like the reservoir is on the left with a large phillips head screw is that where the fluid is put in ? And use Dexron II transmission fluid ? The boat has sat since October of last year and may have been stored in the upright position ( with pressure on it ) . Sorry my first post is so long be kind to a newbie :D

I went back out to the garage and looked at the trim/tilt again. Looking at the transom from the outboard motor side there are two pump/cylinder looking items. The one on the right has a hex bolt maybe halfway up the one on the left has the phillips head screw. Is the hex where the fluid is filled and the phillips where you bleed the system ?

Back