Logo

Compression Variance on Volvo Penta 5.7 GIC-300-R

Bob E

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a boat that just had the engine block replaced due the lack of winterization. The individual who owns the boat hired a mechanic to rebuild the engine. After the rebuild, the owner paid the mechanic 12K and didn't get a detailed invoice showing all the work completed. Now the mechanic in question is nowhere to be found. I found this out after flying from Kansas to Texas to look at the boat. Upon arrival to the lake, the owner had the boat in the water for the first time after the rebuild. After I jumped in the boat, alarms started going off. We pulled the boat back on the trailer and I asked him to take it to another mechanic for inspection. I called the mechanic providing the inspection and asked him to do a full test on the engine. The first thing he said is he doesn't know where the new block came from. He said he uses Jasper blocks which has "mark" to identify if the block is a Jasper. No such mark was present. So, there is no way to tell if the block was new, reman or out of a junk yard. That's concern #1. Should I be concerned?

Concern #2 has to do with the compression test. Here are the numbers. #1 - 180 psi #2 - 190 psi #3 - 165 psi #4 - 190 psi #5 - 180 psi #6 - 180 psi #7 - 180 psi #8 - 190 psi. Cylinder three is 165 psi which is more than 10% variance I've always heard is acceptable. Is that the case or is this not a big deal? The mechanic looking at the boat said "it SHOULD be fine. In addition, the first mechanic used the old spark plugs instead of replacing them with new. Is that a common practice?

Concern #3. The reason the alarms were going off was due to overheating. The codes being thrown were spn 110 and cnt 4 (Engine Coolant Temperature) and spn 110 and 8 cnt (Engine Coolant Temperature). He then inspected the impeller which he found in poor condition and needing to be replaced. This fixed the overheating issue. As a novice, I have a question, how would mechanic one tested the engine if there was a bad impeller? Would he have bench tested it prior to placing it back in the boat? Is this uncommon?

Any advice on the three concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...Bob

Personally... I am of the opinion that paying someone to take old parts off of an old bad engine and install them in an "new" short block is foolish,
The savings over a brand new all up crate engine are minimal and you get a real warranty. Many "mechanics" like this because they can sell this to the owner as a savings, but it you look at where the money i n the project goes, much of it goes t o the mechanic for their labor and not to a new engine. Not a good value proposition, IMHO. But hey... I"m just an old curmudgeon...

Modern parts are accurately machined.----Those compression values are suspect.----Get the boat cheap or take big steps in rapid succession.

Modern parts are accurately machined.----Those compression values are suspect.----Get the boat cheap or take big steps in rapid succession.
Thank you for your reply. When you say take big steps in rapid succession, not sure what that means. Could you explain? Thank you.

Personally... I am of the opinion that paying someone to take old parts off of an old bad engine and install them in an "new" short block is foolish,
The savings over a brand new all up crate engine are minimal and you get a real warranty. Many "mechanics" like this because they can sell this to the owner as a savings, but it you look at where the money i n the project goes, much of it goes t o the mechanic for their labor and not to a new engine. Not a good value proposition, IMHO. But hey... I"m just an old curmudgeon...
Thank you

Boat was in water for the first time ? Has the engine been broke in ? How many hours on it ? What year boat in this ?
Yes, after the rebuild, the first time the boat was back in the water was when I flew down to look at it. The original hours on the boat were 356. The year of the boat is a 2012. The engine has not been broke in.

You won't get accurate compression #s untill the engine is broke in. Mech #1 probably wore out the impellar running it on a hose. If plugs were good, I might reuse them. have you run the boat since replacing the impellor and plugs ? If it runs well, you like the boat and the price is right ??

Back