Logo

Cold start problem with 1990 90HP Evinrude SPL

Tommy_B

My 1990 90hp Evinrude will not start cold. Starts on first try if I spray gas into one spark plug hole or use starter fluid in air intake. after running even seconds, it restarts immediately and runs well. will restart even after several hours of sitting. To cold start i pump bulb to hard, advance throttle in neutral to a high speed, push in key and it cranks but no sputter even. One shot of starter fluid and it roars. I checked voltage to the solenoid (11.8 v); disconnecting primer solenoid to upper carb it does squirt gas when key is depressed. I want to start without the drama and i know starter fluid is a bad option. I owned engine for 10+ years and it has been reliable. Any ideas?

Are you holding the key in, keeping the fuel primer solenoid engaged while cranking the engine? If not do so. You don't really pinpoint whether you do or not.

The fact that shooting a mixture into the carburetor results in having the engine fire and start indicates that fuel is not initially gaining access to the crankcase. When necessary, it's best to use a fuel/oil mixture in a spray bottle rather than starter fluid.

Thanks, I do hold the key in while cranking. I will try the fuel mixture instead of starter fluid if I need it again, that make sense. I removed all the hoses from the primer solenoid, sprayed carb cleaner in all the openings and replaced new hoses. It started with just pushing in the key the two times I used it since then.

Back