Logo

Cold start issues with edelbrock 1409

"twin 350's carbed on a 29

"twin 350's carbed on a 29 phoenix. I was having problems with one of my holley's so I swapped one for an edelbrock 1409 so I could compare. The efficiency change was impressive but it created a cold start problem with the edelbrock. Now it takes 4 attempts to start the starboard engine, and a beating on the start battery. Previous to the switch it started quickly within 2 seconds. The port engine with the Holley still starts cold within 2-4 seconds. Any suggestions? Does the fuel leak out of the edelbrocks but not the holleys?
Steve"

"after a week of sitting, my e

"after a week of sitting, my edelbrocks do take some cranking, even 12 seconds of cranking. Make sure the choke plate closes completely at cold. Within a few days of running, they start in a couple seconds of cranking."

"Steve,

I have the EXACT sa

"Steve,

I have the EXACT same starting procedure and the EXACT same time frame as Dave does. I will even just crank the engine for 5-6 seconds then switch and then go back to the first one another few seconds and then it starts. Gets the oil moving. However, I do have my chokes zip tied open and NOT connected to power. If we go out within a few days...no problem but from Saturday to Saturday...it almost a guarantee. It it is 2 weeks ...ITS A PROMISE

I really don't believe using the choke would facilitate starting since the fuel roll back is the issue. My batteries do not show any sign of LACK of cranking ...are yours fully charged?"

"Both of my old Carter AFBs an

"Both of my old Carter AFBs and the new Edelbrocks do that same nonsense if the boat sits for a week or morte. Reason? The carbs are bone dry.

I finally solved this problem by installing an electric pump to refill the crab bowls. One electric pump fills both carbs, with check valves to prevent the mechanical pumps from pushing gas the other way.

Here's a photo of the set up. An 1/8 inch copper tubing is used from the electric pump to the check valve (the silver item) at the carb. The pump takes about a minute to refill both carbs during the 4 minutes I run the blowers before starting.

Jeff

334609.jpg
"

"Jeff,
I've got electric

"Jeff,
I've got electric pumps now, not mechanical, Can I use a primer bulb just before the carb(like on an outboard) or will it collapse when when running hard? Or I think I read to run a different circuit to the electric pump to make it run before cranking? How do you know when the carb is full? What happens if you pump too much?
Steve"

"Per USCG (and common sens

"Per USCG (and common sense!) specs, you can not use an OB primer bulb below decks. (Believe me, I was sorely tempted to!)

On my old Bayliner, I rigged up a momentary push button to energize the electric pump for a few moments before cold starting the motor. Worked great!

And seeing you already have electric pumps--you lucky fellow!

Jeff"

Back