Logo

Coil scraping flywheel

Kipwrite

Just finished getting my 1968 Evinrude 3hp folder up and running. Starts on the first or second pull and runs smoothly. All new ignition, impeller, carb cleaned, timing and jets dialed in.

Great little motor.

That said, this afternoon after a length test run in a barrel, I noticed one of the new coils - a new OMC factory coil - was scraping against the flywheel slightly. This coil had shifted on me once before last week, after being installed properly.

Ive pressed this coil as far back against its holding screws as it can go. I even took a set of clamps and gave both coils a slight squeeze before tightening things up. They do seem to be lined up just behind the bosses. So I’m stumped.

Is it possible for these coils to shift? Did I get a bad one? The only other remedy I can think of widening the screw hole with a drill bit, to set it slightly farther back from the flywheel.

Notice the top of the aluminum surface upon which the metal portion of the coil sits.

Notice the slight bevel there at the face of the aluminum top?

The metal portion of the coil must align with the inside portion of that bevel in order to obtain the proper clearance between the coil and the flywheel magnets.

If the coils are installed properly as above, it would be impossible for the flywheel to hit the coil(s) without tearing up the armature plate first.

There is a factory tool ( cast iron ring ) that is used to set the coils in position.-----A " dummy " flywheel so to speak.-----Holes can be drilled out to move coils a wee bit.-----If magneto plate bushing is worn all bets are off.-----That will have to be addressed.

There is a factory tool ( cast iron ring ) that is used to set the coils in position.-----A " dummy " flywheel so to speak.-----Holes can be drilled out to move coils a wee bit.-----If magneto plate bushing is worn all bets are off.-----That will have to be addressed.

Thanks for the tips.
I’m not seeing a ‘magneto plate bushing’ in the parts diagram.
Where is this bushing and any clues on how I can tell if it’s worn and then how i’d address this?
Probably better doing this before I start widening the screw holes on the coils.

The new rubber boots on the spark plug wires where they connect to the coil at the armature plate were bigger than the stock ones on both of my motors that I repaired last year and it made pushing the coils back very hard. I thought the holes were off on the coils but it was the boot that was keeping me from being able to push the coils back.

ep61Eed.jpg

I used the tool for adjusting the coils on my motors. I ordered it on line.

fvfnc9w.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect those rubber boots may well be the culprit. Something is in the way of pushing them back and it didn’t occur to me to turn the armature upside down and look at those boots. Worth a check. Thanks for the tip.

I just finished a 1954 3 hp Lightwin and my coils did not come with them boots and the old original coils didnt have them. Seems to run fine.

Back