Logo

Coil/PowerPack Questions

Novax

I'm afraid I have some bad Coils, I cannot get them to spark at a 7/16" gap which is what I was told they need to do. I can get them to spark at 1/4" but it is not very bright. Would these spark at all if the Power Packs were bad? Would they spark at all if they were bad? I have read somewhere (Maybe here?) on how to test the PowerPacks/Coils but I'm a little slow (or just don't know anything about what I'm doing) and the info really didn't make much sense to me. This motor still has a miss in it. The Head Gasket is no longer bad but I do have some ByPass cover gaskets leaking which I will fix. All carbs have been cleaned (3 times) This is the same motor I posted about here: http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?406310-1985-Evinrude-150XP-Problems-(Again) Maybe someone here with a little time on their hands could shoot me a call on my verizon with some tips or walk me through the steps to get it checked or just tell me to go ahead and junk it :cool:

I'm afraid I have some bad Coils, I cannot get them to spark at a 7/16" gap which is what I was told they need to do. I can get them to spark at 1/4" but it is not very bright. Would these spark at all if the Power Packs were bad? Would they spark at all if they were bad? I have read somewhere (Maybe here?) on how to test the PowerPacks/Coils but I'm a little slow (or just don't know anything about what I'm doing) and the info really didn't make much sense to me. This motor still has a miss in it. The Head Gasket is no longer bad but I do have some ByPass cover gaskets leaking which I will fix. All carbs have been cleaned (3 times) This is the same motor I posted about here: http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?406310-1985-Evinrude-150XP-Problems-(Again) Maybe someone here with a little time on their hands could shoot me a call on my verizon with some tips or walk me through the steps to get it checked or just tell me to go ahead and junk it :cool:
when my power pack went out i had no spark at all so i dont think that would be the problem.

A leaking/defect capacitor in the powerpack may cause a weak spark as well as a low voltage from charge coil. Swap the coil(s) to another cylinder and see if problem moves with coil or stays with cylinder. If all coils/cylinders have the same symptom, I would do a peak volt test of the stator (charge coil).

You will need a multimeter with DVA adaptor (to get the max of voltage). All test values clearly stated in the ORIGINAL workshop manual.

Could spark plug wires be a problem? I did some tests using an ohm meter by connecting the leads to the coil wires and to the plug part of the coil and then with the plug wires. I got readings through the coil but not through the wires. Touched one to the unplugged coil wire to the plugged in spark plug wire, no reading, touch it to just the plug on the coil and I get readings.

Plug wires on those engines should have 0 Ohm resistance as thy should be 'solid core' wires. Pull of the wire end caps, cut off 1/2" and re-attach the springs.

Back