Logo

Clunking noise while in gear.

Moonfisher1

A new problem to diagnose....

1985 Grady White 22 Seafarer with a 305 2bbl and a Gen One Alpha One. I keep the boat in the water.

I have serviced my alphas (other boats too) for years. I bought a "Rebuilt " lower last year.
The boat was running fine then what sounded like someone put a stick into a fan blade. I stopped the boat. The outdrive zinc was missing but the prop was not bent badly, just a nick on all 3 bades. I keep the boat in the water. There is no noise in Neutral. It is only when in drive or reverse. I putted 3 miles home at 6 Knots.

I pulled the drive expecting to see a damaged U joint but all looks good.

Question, Could this be as simple as a propeller issue?

Being that all 3 blades were chopping at the trim anode, I`d suspect a chipped tooth or two in the lower.All the gears spin whether or not in gear.
You can inspect the upper set by draining the oil, removing the top cap and looking at the gears.If there all good, trouble is in the lower.

Thanks. I'll tear it apart tomorrow night. I just took it off and brought it home earlier today. On a side note, I had just caught a double header of Rockfish about an hour earlier. A 36" and a 37" . The fish were actually breaking near the bay bridge and I picked up 2 . I was in a very good mood until sh-- hit the fan.. Talk about a buzz kill...... I cleaned the fish tonight to get my mind off the problem for a while. I'll post what I discover tomorrow night. Thanks again for the reply.

There is so many floating pieces of wood and other stuff from Sandy it ain't funny. It might pay to get insurance that covers the drive.

Good luck !

Update... Sorry for the delay.
I took the drive apart and found metal in the oil and gears jumping teeth. I ordered an SEI upper and lower with an install kit and an annode kit all delivered for about $1400.( includes 3 year warr that covers just about anything.) I found the best deal on Ebay @ HOTRODgers [mailto:[email protected]] I called SEI and confirmed the necessary gear ratio and they confirmed that this dealer was legit and does business with them on a regular basis. He is about 10 minutes from their facility. he also keeps a copy of the warr so all you need to do if you have a problem is call him and he'll pull the paperwork.
If I went Mercury it would have been about $ 3K.

Just bought boat insurance tonight. I heard that New Jersey is attempting to pass legislation to make it mandatory for boat owners to be insured. Also, many marinas require proof of insurance to keep a boat on there property. (I think it is only right!) jmho. My first season I did not have it and it was constantly bothering me. Made me nervous being anywhere near some of those fancy boats while navigating through the back bay areas. I did have seatow but that was just in case I were to break down.
This guy I know, did not even have tow insurance and sea tow charged him like $1200.00 to tow him in. They charge you starting from the time you make the call till you get to your final destination. That is what he told me anyways. That is a perfect example why someone who owns a boat should carry it. Anyway, like Master mechanic said about all of the junk floating around, you just can't be sure that you won't hit something floating around out there. Your bound to hit something sooner or later. I got comprehensive and collision,uninsured boats,liability,personal injury, trailer,etc. I did not bother insuring fishing equipment or personal property. I did get max of $2500 and 75 mile tow coverage. Bt Doctor is right about the SEI drives being pretty darn reliable. I replaced my lower with an SEI and have not had any problems yet. Only complaint that I have heard is that the paint job does not hold up very well. Well, finally got my boat ready for the water. Replaced vhf antenna and proprietory mount which I broke like a nucklehead. ($200.00) Replaced fuel sender and gauge ($65). Boat insurance ($349) Going up north near Brielle this year to fish. Did not have much luck in Cape May last season. Sorry for your your troubles Moonfisher1. Been there and done what you are about to do. Good luck, have a safe season. P.S. Just let me catch one nice size striper God! Just one and I would be happy! lol later, Tom

Tom, I have insurance and I've notified them. I should be able to recover some of the loss. On a good note, here is me during a brief happy period with one of the 2 fish before the boat broke. Hang in there the fish will come..Fish 2.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice bass! I will definitely be alot more aggressive about fishing this year because you never know when your luck will run out with respect to your vessel. (costly repairs can set you back or even cause you to loss entire season). That's the real killer! I guess you fish the Chesapeake Bay for those Rockfish? I fished in Maryland last year Near Conowingo dam. Caught a pile of catfish and a few white perch. Nothing to brag about! lol Never fished the Chesapeake Bay. That's a alot of water compared to Delaware Bay. Anyway, make sure you do the recommended break in procedure before you run it too hard. I'm sure you are aware of it but figured I would would mention it to you anyways. Too expensive to make avoidable mistakes! Right? You will be back in the water pretty soon. While you have the entire drive off, make sure to align your engine to your drive. If you already own the alignment tool, disregard, if not, they sell them pretty cheap on ebay also. Should have one if you plan on working on your own boat. jmho. Wish you only the best this coming season, Tom

Ok, Here is an update. My insurance CO (Allstate) took care of me on this one. By the time the adjuster came out I had already installed the new SEI upper and lower. It was 3 coats of promer and 2 coats of trilux 33 when he saw it and the old set with shot lower gears. It took about 2 -3 weeks but a nice check for $1500 was worth the wait. It is a replacement policy so the price of a new lower covered the whole SEI.

Thank you all for your help and support. It's nice to have a place to come and bounce ideas. Have a great summer.

Back