Logo

Clicking Sound

JJDebeers

Regular Contributor
Last weekend while installing a new distributor and setting timing, I used a socket wrench to manually rotate my engines in order to find the TDC mark on the flywheel. While manually rotating the engines I could hear a "clicking" sound as I rotated. Not the clicking sound that comes from the socket wrench, but a sound coming from the motor as I manually turned it.

I've manually rotated the engines before and never noticed this sound. What is it and is it normal?

-JJ

stater pinion gear still engaged to the flywheel? It gets thrown back when the engine starts up, but ratchets when hung up.

JJ, you don't by chance have an upset X spouse that planted a device on board, do you? :eek:

On a serious note, if this is a Bendix style starter motor, that could be it as per buick430.
Odd thing is, a Bendix drive should have returned upon the last fire up.

My guess would be that you can't hear this once started up and running... yes/no?

It starts and runs with no ratcheting sounds. What's bothering me is that the first time I checked the timing and rotated the engines manually, I don't think I heard the sound.

Maybe the starter drive gear is sticking intermittently?

-JJ

Relax; it's the starter.

The way these work (I learned from my rebulder) is this: when the Bendix engages, some pins come out to keep it engaged. THe ONLY way to get the Bendix back in is for the engine to start up; that spins the Bendix, and the pins go back in.

Jeff

Back